Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm beginning to think that maybe SRC are a myth. Over the last two weeks I've been on the saltwater at Port 'williams and Sequim Bay trying to catch my first ever SRC.
I've also spent some time on the Sol Duc and Hoko, after the recent rains. I've been using Spruce flies and Muddler Minnows on a sinking leader on a floating line. Not so much as a single strike.
Of course all my fishing endeavors seem to be snakebit lately. I'm like 0 for 30 or something like that. I'm getting desperate.

Any suggestions. :CONFUSED

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Snohomish river. I have some friends who live in Lowell. They keep calling me telling me it's just ridiculous. I've been meaning to get over there, but things keep coming up. Soon, real soon. :EEK YT

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

Don't feel bad,I'm in the same boat. No matter what I've thrown at them.I can't seem to get any hits.

I keep hearing about the Snohomish,so I guess I better give it a try.

I go out with mtlhead and he gets all the fish. I guess it all depends how you hold you mouth.

Jim

·
Registered
176 Posts
I fish cutthroat fairly often in BC. I think the real trick is finding the fish. If I can't see any sign of them in the water I keep hustling around until I find them. Sometimes I never do. I've never had any luck fishing them blind.

For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights.

Tacitus

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
I have been fishing the Skagit for cutts since the 2nd week of Aug. I have made it out at least one day every weekend since then. I have been skunked once. Most days bring at least 5 or 6 to hand and a few LLRs. A few mornings of 10 or 12 fish. Not bragging here just want you to know they are out there.

I fish for cutts in the rivers and mainly the Skagit. I have learned over the years where the likely places that cutts will hang. I spend a lot of time walking the river with my dog searching for likely spots. When I find them I return in my boat, rod in hand, to see if my suspicions are correct. You don't have to have a boat but it helps. I know of a couple of people that do quite well from the bank.

A few hints to start. SRC prefer structure. Sunken logs, stumps, root balls. I have found them along rip rap lined banks also but mostly woody structure. They seem to like a little current and water from a foot deep to as deep as 10 feet. In my experience while fishing tidal influenced waters, slack water has not been very productive so fish the tide changes. I have not found incoming or outgoing tide to be any better than the other, at least not in the river, might be different in the salt. I like to use bright flies. Red, orange, yellow, etc. with orange being the hot color for me this year. My usually pattern is a modified Knutson’s spider. The only change being red hackle fibers for the tail. I also use Mike Kinney’s reverse spider in the same colors. I fish these mostly with an intermediate sink ghost tip and sometimes a floater.

Hope this helps

KLS

·
Old School Member
830 Posts
SRC Myth

Yep, I can confirm SRC's are just a myth...followed up Snohomish leads at Thomas Eddy and Lowell to no avail...Not exactly fly fishing friendly in those locations...Maybe if you have a boat things would go better...

Must be some initiation ritual involving a tatoo and enduring pain that is required to gain access to the fly friendly water full of these mysterious fish...I'm off to attempt to locate Sasquatch.

:AA

·
Registered
113 Posts
SRC Myth

Listen to Kerry!!
He's got them figured out. I had the pleasure if fishing SRC's with him a couple weeks ago. When Kerry said cast in front of that stump, there should be a fish in there.. low and behold there was a fish in there. Now, he would confirm I didn't land them all, but had a good time. Structure seems to be key, something they can hide around in order to ambush their prey. Thanks again Kerry. STeve

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

I understand what you are saying. I have gone to places where I have caught fish in the past, but they seem that they're not there any more. I've been fishing the main Stilly mostly.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Hmmm-- I have yet to fish in the two places you've mentioned, but I have it on pretty good authority that both can be excellent. Both are on my list of places to explore this fall.

The real key is to find the fish, as noted above. However, here are a few tips I think are worthy.

First, find current areas, places where the incoming or outgoing tide pushes bait past an ambush point. Tide rips can also be good spots. I would imagine that fishing in the Port Williams area would be good on an outgoing tide, assuming you're fairly close to the mouth of Sequim Bay. As the outgoing tide draws bait from the bay, predatory fish will be waiting. If you're fishing from a boat, you've got it made. Anchor close to current and fish it like a river.

Don't think you have to cast a long ways out from the beach. SRC will be very shallow at times. Even when wading, it pays to cast parallel to the beach or even on an angle from you to the beach-- if you're fishing a fairly shallow slope.

Look for incoming streams in which the SRC or salmon could spawn. Somewhere in the vicinity, there will be cutts.

As for patterns, both you've mentioned are supposed to be good, but I have yet to catch anything on them up here. It could be I just haven't fished either enough, though. I would add some lightweight pink and white clousers to your box and a fly called Jim's Dandy (it's also known as the Snot Dart) that you can buy at Port Townsend Angler in PT. This fly is my basic go-to.

If you've got decent current, fish a dry fly, but skate it in the current. Two patterns that I like are a Gurgler style foam-backed pattern and a variation of Haig-Brown's Western Steelhead Bee. I tie the bee with deer hair for wings and tail and yellow, closed-cell foam for the body. I use a Sharpie to put black stripes on the body so that it resembles a yellow jacket. Both patterns work best when skated in the current.

That should get you started. I would do a lot of wading inside Sequim Bay if you don't have a boat. I 've heard of some excellent fishing there.

Good luck,

Keith

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all of you who responded with some great advice and encouragement. I'm going to keep at it also I'm going to take a class at Peninsula College on flyfishig the Oly Peninsula, hopefully will pick up some helpful info and skills there.

When I fished the SolDuc the other day I fished near the bridge that crosses the river just after you turn off the LaPush road onto the Quilleut Rd. There were a lot of logs, big rocks etc. It all looked like the kind of SRC holding areas you folks have described. but I got no action. Should I have been up or down the river more?

Thanks again

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

Here's a little help on the fly called Jim,s Dandy. It is shown in the summer issue of Flyfishing and Tying Journal. It's under Morris on Tying. But in the magazine it is called Jim Dandy.

Jim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.