Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a little info on SRC's. My boat is in Edmonds and before salmon season gets here, I want to target some SRC's.

I have never fly fished for SRC so I need a little info... Do they prefer underwater structure? Sandy Points? etc.

Also, What type of sinking line works best in the salt, I have a 9' 4wt med action.

Lastly, any pattern recommendations I assume some kinda shiner pattern but need some input.

Thanks for your suggestions.

·
A collector never stops collecting!
4,895 Posts
There's a good article in the 'Articles' link above that would be a good place to start for info. I use my 5wt with a 5wt type 6 sinking line and a short 8lb(4 to 5 feet) steelhead leader. Fish on the tide changes and preferably look for an area that has a stream coming into the beach area.

Most of the stuff that I've read and people who I have talked with recommend using a 6wt and even overlining your rod with a line one size higher, just in case you hook up with a salmon and for windy conditions. This time of year though you should be able to use a floating line with a longer leader, depending on where you're fishing. I've been up at the Edmonds beaches once or twice, but haven't fished there.

As far as flies I would start off with baitfish patterns, clousers or something along the line. I know there are a couple of guys up at the Avid Angler that are into saltwater fishing or you can check out some patterns at http://www.pugetsoundflyfishing.com if you're into tying.

Good luck and have fun! Having access to a boat should give you a lot more options than those of us that have to find beach access.

Bill :thumb

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.