Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my hands on a 7 weight 11 foot St Croix switch rod yesterday. I only had a few minutes during lunch and my buddy and I ran down (literally) to the river and he showed me a thing or two with this rod.

I had never casted spey style before. He taught me how to throw the D-ring and make a snap T and cast. I was a little surprised with how well it went. I love Skagit casting already and look forward to learning more. I'm no prodigy, but in about ten minutes I was shooting a 22' shooting head with 50 feet of miracle braid to any point on a "half clock" in front of me without any trouble at all. It seems like it would be a really technical, but crazy fun, rewarding, and relaxing way to fish. NO BACKCAST!!! I'm hooked. I think the years and years of experience on the single hander helped. Have to pay attention to details.

I have heard many times that it is harder to learn how to spey cast on the switch rods, but my first experience was so positive that I think I"ll probably buy a 6 or 7 weight St Croix switch for my first two hander. Killer rod for the money. I own a lot of st croix single handers and I've never been disappointed with performance or service.

Had to share. One more expansion of my forever expanding intoxication with fly fishing.

Tight lines.

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rivers that run even as small as 1000 cfs seem like they would be perfect for the switch. You can just cover so much water from so many more positions. I've talked to guys that swing, indicator, and straight retrieve equally well. I'm stoked to get into it to say the least. I think I'll buy the six first and then I'll probably end up getting a five and seven. I have too many rods but why not? Right?

·
Strikes and gutters, ups and downs
20 Posts
Has anyone had any experience using a switch rod from the beach? I will be leaving for New Jersey for grad school in the fall, and I'm looking to get into striper fishing from the shore. I've heard that the surf can be tough, and I was wondering if a switch would be the way to go. I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I thought it was relevant. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.