Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I fished the St. Joe July 1,2,3. I fished primarily upstream of Spruce Tree Campground. The river was still a little high but it was very clear. For my first time being on the river, I felt that I did pretty darn well. Nymphs were the choice in the morning and as the afternoon approached a green drake/adams seemed to produce more rises then a guy could hope for. Biggest fish caught was 20". I was hoping to run into a bull trout but never did see one. All and all a good trip, many fish caught, and I was in some of the best scenery a guy could ask for. Thanks to those of you who gave advise on this river.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
Nice report. Short but sweet. When are you heading back? You know you are already thinking about it...I know you are!

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
So I fished the St. Joe July 1,2,3. I fished primarily upstream of Spruce Tree Campground. The river was still a little high but it was very clear. For my first time being on the river, I felt that I did pretty darn well. Nymphs were the choice in the morning and as the afternoon approached a green drake/adams seemed to produce more rises then a guy could hope for. Biggest fish caught was 20". I was hoping to run into a bull trout but never did see one. All and all a good trip, many fish caught, and I was in some of the best scenery a guy could ask for. Thanks to those of you who gave advise on this river.
Just a quick reminder. You are not allowed to target bull trout. That includes NF CDA, Kelly Creek, NF Clearwater, Montana. It is fun when you have one coume out of a deep pool to chase a fish you have hooked.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Never caught a bull trout, but it is interesting that the regs say "target". Heck, I'm fishing for trout, have never targeted any type in particular and I'm thrilled when anything tugs on the line. So I guess I'm a bit confused as to how I would target a bull, rarely seeing what's on my line until I'm fortunate enough to land something... Generally they're down in a riffle or seam somewhere and I can't see 90% of what I catch until they rise after a take. Is ig just me? I guess the better question would be, how do I "not" target a bull?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Never caught a bull trout, but it is interesting that the regs say "target". Heck, I'm fishing for trout, have never targeted any type in particular and I'm thrilled when anything tugs on the line. So I guess I'm a bit confused as to how I would target a bull, rarely seeing what's on my line until I'm fortunate enough to land something... Generally they're down in a riffle or seam somewhere and I can't see 90% of what I catch until they rise after a take. Is ig just me? I guess the better question would be, how do I "not" target a bull?
being out there with a seven weight a sink tip and big white streamers. that would qualify as targeting them in my book. As for hooking one on your five weight streamer it does happen. just dont go sight fishing for um and you will be fine. If by some chance you do end up hooking one and by some grace of god land him on a five weight without breaking the fish off, keep it in the water remove the hook and release the fish. you definitely will have a great story to tell

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
It's always seemed ludicrous to me to try to enforce the rule of no targeting bull trout when fishing for other trout is allowed in the same river. While I don't often use a 7 wt, I have been know to fish it for trout if the wind is blowing. A sink tip is a very usefull tool for trout fishing, and certainly streamers and wool head sculpins are deadly on trout. Big trout often are found in deep slow moving pools in a river. So how can an enforcement agent truly enforce this? I will admit I've hooked a few bull trout in the Methow using these tools (although a 6 wt is as heavy as I generally go.) Was I surprised when I hooked a bully? No, but I also hooked some nice cutbows with the same gear. Just use a Ketchum release (as I virtually always do) so you don't deslime the fish and let them go quickly-no harm done. Now I'll get ready to be flamed! Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.