Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just starting getting into spey and I have my budget set. I have around $450 to spend. I have found the discontinued Abel Super 10 and I also like the Spey Co Symmetry Skagit. I need someone to learn me a bit regarding these two reels. They both are really nice. Any reel world experience would be cool.

Dopey

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Before you go out and buy a reel, new or used, get some professional advice and try to get the reel or one like it attached to your rod with backing and line so you can see if it ballances well with your rod. A reel too heavy or too light can cause serious problems with your casting stroke and can cause fatigue after a few hours. Don't just go out and dump money on a reel because of its reputation. There are plenty of really excellent, suitable reels, new and used, out there for $450. The key is to get one on the rod and try it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Before you go out and buy a reel, new or used, get some professional advice and try to get the reel or one like it attached to your rod with backing and line so you can see if it ballances well with your rod. A reel too heavy or too light can cause serious problems with your casting stroke and can cause fatigue after a few hours. Don't just go out and dump money on a reel because of its reputation. There are plenty of really excellent, suitable reels, new and used, out there for $450. The key is to get one on the rod and try it.
Should I buy the rod first then?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Well, I assumed you had a rod but you know what happens when you assume. In your case, you should visit a fly shop and try some rods to find out what you like. Then have the shop recommend a reels/line combinations that will match your rod selection. Depending on your budget, you should be able to come up with a decent combination that you can have confidence in and you can cast and catch fish with.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Dopey,

In addition to my previous post.

The Loop Evotec LW 8eleven retails for $495 US. With your $450 budget in mind...I'd give this reel some serious consideration. Just a tip from a Spey newbie like you.

I'd focus on rod/lines, and then reel. Understanding all the different Spey lines/rods turn into my top priority after I struggled with all the confusion and made a few bad purchases. From a rod perspective, my advice would to start out with a winter rod and commit yourself to fully understanding Spey lines, heads, and sink tips. Once your on track with a winter Spey rig, and your budget allows.....I'd check out the versatile switch rod for a summer Spey rig. Once your switch goes off with a switch rod.....it's a must have rig. I live in the Puget Sound region(Seattle) and the switch rod gives me a plethora of legitimate salt water opportunities as well.

I'd call John with Swede's, Mike Kinney, George Cook with Sage, Poppy's Red Shed, Lani Waller with Worldwide Angling, Dale Dennis-NF Stilly, Brett Wedeking with Creekside Angling, Brita Fordice/Ryan Smith with Avid Angler, Bamboo Bob in BC, Hannah Belford with Damdochax River Lodge, John/Amy Hazel of Deschutes Angling, Jeff Wilson with Loop/Castaway. The Spey way experts mentioned above all have different views on Spey rigs and I've communicated with them all on this confusing subject for over two years. In my opinion, they are ALL correct, but ALL very different. This may sound confusing, but I believe all their opinions are valid and correct. Google their names and respective shops. You'll find a treasure chest of sage advice and their contact information. Then, I'd pick up the phone and call them. Grill the experts mentioned above with rod, and line questions based on your seasonality preference and specific rivers, and lakes.

I would make it a personal goal to demystify what's best for you and avoid the Spey Coocoo's Nest that I experience for over 2 years. It will take a little time and effort, but it's worth it. Don't stumble around for two years like I did. Go straight to the experts mentioned above and I would also purchase Dec Hogan's book....The Passion for Steelhead.

My stumbling around on this subject for two years is "Reel World Experience" and I hope you avoid potential frustration with my advice.

Good luck with your challenge and have fun with it.

Todd.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Go to one of Aaron casting dealio's or I think there is a "spey days" coming up soon. You don't need a disk drag for steelhead on a two-hander, get a reel with character. Hang onto your cash until you know what you want.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sandy Clave is coming up in May and most of the rods, lines, and reels you would want to try out will be available. I have a couple of the Abels and they have worked great. If you are going to target salmon at any point, you do want a real drag and not just a click. For steelhead, both work.

Reels, like rods, are subject to what you like. They are also a long term investment, in my opinion. A quality reel should be passed on to grandkids. That might not be possible with a rod.

Also, most of the reels with the same capacity will probably weigh close to the same, at least they would be useable on the same rod/line system. Are you going to fish in below zero weather? If so, a sealed drag is nice as it is not as apt to freeze up on you.

·
Fly Guy Eat Pie
460 Posts
for $450 your options are pretty much open to a lot of quality reels...most of which you really can't go wrong with.

Nautilus CCF, Galvan T's and Rush's, any Ross, Lamson, and many including Vosseler, Loop, Abel, Tioga, etc etc etc...

You can also save quite a bit by buying used. I just saw a Tibor riptide sold for very cheap...I would've jumped on it if I had money.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Try them out and find what you like! Before spending that much you need to know what feels right for you. Go to one of the weekend spey classes that are up here and contact them before you come so you'll have some choices to try there. No matter the reccomendations you get, trying them out together is the only way to be sure. There may be many combinations that are good but untill you have tried them you may match them wrong. It's so easy to end up spending seversl hundred and then wanting to trade up or down to get a better match. Also there are more parts than just the reel rod and line to complete the set up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.