Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

For my 1st Father's Day my wife brought me up to the Cabin and is taking care of our 6 month old all day tomorrow to let me fish. The only problem is I have no idea what's in the South Fork of the Sky, what I should be using and what technique. HELP A FELLOW FATHER OUT???!!!

The good news:
I have a 4,5 and 6 weights, Floating and sink tip lines, and a huge assortment of flies.

Maggie's Cabin is right by the Baring Fire Dept.

Also, if you will be up in the area, let me know I've got just wading gear.

Thanks in advance!
Bryce

·
Registered
648 Posts
On my first fathers day I caught a steelhead on the north fork of the sky...15 years ago...

I have not fished up there in years, but I recall preferring the north fork.

Mostly steelhead and Dollies this time of year, and the trout you catch are probably juvenile steelhead.

It sounds like the hatchery has hit their numbers for returning fish, so there must be some steelies swimming around

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's Awesome (first father's day Steely)!!! I didn't bring my 8wt. but I do have some of my Steely gear that I could use on my 6wt. I would love to go after Dollies but have never targeted them specifically. Any advice?

Dries?
Swinging Woolies?
Dead Drifts?

Thanks,
Bryce

·
Registered
648 Posts
Big bunny leaches, flesh flies, sculpin patterns...Dollies eat fish...heck I have hooked a few that hit smolts I was landing, so I bet it you could find a nice four inch smolt pattern you would be golden!

Search the site, I am sure others have posted their fav Dolly flies.

Most of the hatchery steelhead you can handle with your 6wt...assuming you know what your doing and you can run fast!

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Bleblanc,

It's June. That means that summer steelhead are the most abundant - not that there are a lot of them - target species for fly fishing right now. If you fish the South Fork, stay downstream of Sunset Falls. I'm not sure that WDFW is operating the trap and haul yet, and if they are, very few steelhead will have been passed upstream. Your best chances will be from the Reiter rearing ponds on downstream toward Sultan.

If you have an 8 wt and left it behind, that was a mistake. Hopefully you're one who learns from mistakes.

Dollies, or bull trout, are at their seasonal low abundance in the river now. Most of them are feeding in Puget Sound. Native char will begin entering fresh water streams again next month, becoming more abundant in August.

Your most productive use of this Father's Day might be to spend it with your 6 mo. old and make a list of what to do right, and ahead of time, next year at this time. Happy Father's Day.

Sg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.