Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back up to the Green yesterday and today in the morning.
Yesterday fished my favorite pool and zilch, nada, saw fish laying in the shallows before I dropped down to the river. Flogged the water to death and as normal nada. Fishing buddy comes down river and three or four casts later hooks up with a small hatchery buck. Lands fish and laughs at me. I need a more considerate partner!
Today, head up to fish and flog water. Nada, zilch, nothing. Fishing buddy comes up river and pushes me aside and hooks a fish in about 5 minutes. I need a new fishing buddy! Invites me to dinner tonight, fresh fish on the barbie!
I did hook one hen just about 18 inches. I guess I could have called it a bow but it was definately a stealhead. Way to bright for a resident fish. Legally a bow but color wise not so. It was a wild fish, all in tact fin wise. Does anyone else have a view on this?
At this rate my summer fishing for stealhead is going to get right back to my average.
Dave

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Not real certain here but I'll throw it out anyway: all salmon produce "Jacks." These fish, mostly males, have a role not clearly understood. They are part of the run but much smaller as they are a one ocean fish. Chinook jacks average about 4 to 7 lbs. Steelhead about 12" to 20." So I think you caught a steelhead jack. Not sure though. Coho jacks (about 2 or 3 pounds) are a blast and a sucker for a black gnat.
Babbo:dunno :dunno :dunno

·
Registered
465 Posts
Where were you fishing?

I fished the Green near Metzler tonight but the water is too skinny to hold fish right now. There are only a couple runds that could hold a fish. It is fine below the big island but otherwise it was casting practice. On my way out there was a KC Sheriffs Deputy and a couple locals who claim they found a Skelleton in a log jam. They seemed a little "in the bag" so I am claiming it was a old deer carcass but we'll see if it's in the news tomorrow. I am convinced I'll find a body one day.

I would say your 18" fish was a half pounder although I caught some resident 10-14" trout on another stream last night that were chrome bright with very little red or green on them. Resident trout on a lot of rivers around here are just steelhead that never left the river. It's natures way of insuring spawning populations that can keep the strain going if ocean conditions do not favor the salt going fish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.