Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
This is a pretty forward thinking, new project that is trying to pull stakeholders in the Snake River Basin together and start a dialogue that turns the Snake RIver steelhead/salmon crisis into an opportunity.

The feds (Obama, NOAA Fisheries) have consistently dropped the ball and are counting on the public not to call them on real wild salmon recovery in the Clearwater, Ronde, Salmon, Imnaha and Snake Rivers...

Washington State anglers need to make their voices heard in Senator Cantwell and Murray's offices... We need to ask for the Senators to provide leadership on this issue and quit hiding from the fact that populations of wild steel and salmon are faltering.

Please visit the site:
www.workingsnakeriver.org Explore it... even more important go to the take action page and write our senators a letter. The link:

http://ga0.org/campaign/workingsnakeriver

I have also uploaded the press release. Any suggestions, impressions thoughts or what ever are welcomed...

·
Skunk Happens
1,015 Posts
"Yes, this is a form email, but it is important for you to note that I am a registered voter in Washington and I approve this message. :)"

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stewart's got a good point. Please do write a letter to Senators Cantwell and Murray and let them know you value steelhead as an angler and you are a WA state voter! A letter in your own words is really powerful if your up for it.

It is key that we move these two senators on the issue of salmon/steel recovery (otherwise we limp along as we have been).

I attached a business letter signed by over 60 businesses and then ran as an add in the Pacific NW Inlander (Bloomsday addition, April 28, pg 27) . We sent this on the the Senators. If you have a business and want to sign on, Please PM me... we are going to keep this going.
JW

·
Piscatorial Engineer
1,229 Posts
Gentlemen, please do your homework. Members of this organization include "Salmon for All", the Col. R. Gillnetters Assoc., Alaska trollers association and other commercial non-selective harvest groups. There is a CCA chapter in Clarkston/Lewiston that does steward the interests of recovery of salmon and steelhead, but does not steward the interests of non-selective fishers, as an example. Do the research, this group may not be what it appears.

Under the Salmon Economy tab, there is an entire section dedicated to Commercial fishing.

http://www.workingsnakeriver.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=126&Itemid=127

Also, this Snake River group appears to suggest they can recover the Puget Sound Orcas too.

http://www.workingsnakeriver.org/in...orcas&catid=36:plans-and-proposals&Itemid=137

Something just ain't quite right about this group... Might be a good idea to see how deep the water is before you jump right in.

Just sayin...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
By all means, please do the homework.... I am happy to help with that effort if you want the help.

Here is the deal. We are asking everyone, all stakeholders... Sport fishers and ocean trollers to come together and work on recovery issues that get salmon back to Idaho, Washington and Oregon...

To date, this coalition has the Washington Trollers Association and the Northwest Sportfishing Industry as well as the Washingon Council or Trout Unlimited as a part of it.

This is not a conspiracy. This is an effort to quit "Balkanizing" into small ineffective, infighting groups that are interested in only the their own agendas. This is an effort to pull people TOGETHER and address real reform and real recovery of wild steelhead. Will it be easy. No. Will everyone agree on every thing. No. But if you want wild fish for the 21st century, you had better put your personal or organizational bias aside and begin thinking about negotiating solutions.

Also:
The truth is that neither, flyfishers, not gear anglers NOR washington commercial trollers are destroying the four ESA listed fish in the Snake River Basin. The science and the collected data prove that. This is not the Puget Sound. Please do not impose those those conditions and those agendas on the ESA listed species (and situation) of the Snake River Basin!

Please do the homework.

The old model (organizations fighting each other, while creating division to grow memberships) is ineffective. The old way is stakeholders and resource users operating from stereotypes and hammering on each other while the federal government mismanages the ESA listed runs into oblivian.

Again... do the homework and join up or not. The other option is to continue fighting each other and give nothing to the future. Your choice, but we are coming down to the wire.

·
Piscatorial Engineer
1,229 Posts
No conspiracy alleged. I take it as a given until proven contrary that folks on this board are extremely well intended. However, I have learned that groups are not always what they sound like they are, Salmon for All is an example. I am an Idaho boy, and Snake and Clearwater issues are near and dear to my heart. It concerns me that there are people who would exploit their issues disingenuously, and other well-intentioned folks unwittingly might aid them in that mission.

The sad truth remains - there are more Snake and Clearwater fish killed in AK and BC than remain entering the Columbia river.

I am unsure myself, but I still, and always, advise caution and informed decisions. Certainly no disrespect intended, but the message remains - do your homework.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got you, Citori... and I certainly respect the fact that 1. you have deep roots in those rivers, coming from ID and 2. you understand the issues, 3. you are advising folks to research the organizations and issues... that is just plain good advise.

Although I always come back pretty stridently in these conversations, I did not take any thing you said as disrespectful in anyway...

I also share your concern that sometimes organizations can become mercenary with the issues... it happens (especially with something as valuable and coveted as salmon/steelhead). I do not believe that to be the case in this effort.

I think we have come to a moment in time on the Snake (basin) where organizations are really going to have stretch themselves, hold noses if they have to, and sit down together to begin a negotiation... its happening on the Klamath, it can happen on the Snake. We gotta get Murray and Cantwell off the sidelines for this to happen.

Citori... I appreciate that you are active in the issues and care care about the CW/Snake Rivers... Thnx

·
Tom Van Gelder
35 Posts
Jerry,
I agree with you about timing. Unless we all sit down and negotiate, both friend and foe, nothing will change. As diverse as the list of groups are that have signed on so far, one would be naive to think we all have the exact same outcome in mind. What is being done here is a hope of breaking the statusquo. If we can get our two Senators to take a lead role and sit down with all stake holders, hopefully some good will come out of it. If not and we continue down our current path, we all lose. Signing on does not mean you agree with all other signatories. What it does show is that you are willing to sit down and negotiate for what your group thinks is best for the fish.
Tom Van Gelder
President Washington Council of Trout Unlimited
http://www.troutunlimitedwashington.org/index.html
Duwamish Green Chapter Member

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
any group of concerned folks willing to step up to the plate and pick up the bat has my support. Citori, if CCA wants to step up, fine, but here is another coaliton being formed to call attention to a critical issue so we ALL owe it to the fish to join in with our individual support.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.