Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm looking for information on some STH reels. I have four different ones (IM-C1.5, IM POP, SLT-3 and GSR-II) that were passed on to me years ago but I've never had the pleasure of using them so their still in their original box and sleeves. At this point, I'm thinking I should move them to someone who could use them but I have no idea what they're worth. I can send pictures of any (or all) of them if that would help but if anyone could give me any information at all on them (or even a point of reference where I might find detail) I would be most grateful. Thanks much!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have checked eBay but am not finding the exact models I have and the ones that are on there fluctuate wildly so I was hoping that I could get better information from those who know the territory much better than I (who, admittedly, knows very little on reels). I do appreciate the response though, thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As requested, here is a shot of each...
Font Gas Automotive tire Road surface Electric blue

Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Gas Automotive wheel system

Font Gas Circle Electric blue Metal

Electric blue Gas Circle Font Fashion accessory

Hope I'm inserting the images correctly . Apologies if I'm not! If anyone would like to see more of any of them or any specific angles, I'm more than happy to provide them as well. Just let me know. Happy Thanksgiving all!
Font Gas Automotive tire Road surface Electric blue
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Gas Automotive wheel system
Font Gas Circle Electric blue Metal
Electric blue Gas Circle Font Fashion accessory

·
Registered
12 Posts
They are all from when Cortland bought STH. I'm not going out in a limb when i say they're NOT very highly regarded reels. I have the Gold Turbine STH (non cassette) which i thought would be some super cool tech when i bought it back in the 2000s. Ended up it was just another pos reel. I never use it. Woefully inadequate drag for the saltwater fish it was purported to be designed for. I'm glad you got them for free.
The pre Cortland non cassette models are likely worth the most. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please don’t be. I’m looking for accurate information whether it be good, bad or indifferent so I do appreciate the response. It’s unfortunate that they’re not very highly thought of but there’s the proverbial “it is what it is”, right. Again, thanks for the information. It is appreciated.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have owned an STH IM 2 for around 30 years. I was attracted originally to this reel because of the versatility of the cassette feature that let me spool different size lines for use back then on 6-wt and 8-wt rods with the same reel (yes, I owned only 2 fly rods back then!). These Argentinean build reels were marketed by Cortland as well as under their own label – and some of their reels were sold under the Orvis brand. I see asking prices ranging from $60 to over $100 and found an asking price of $99 for an IM 2 in 2018 (could not tell if it was sold for this amount). Not any savings over what is currently available for modern reels, meaning the lower end is probably appropriate.

I still use this reel occasionally (and have two extra cassettes), but they are heavy by today's standards and do not sport a large arbor. The drag is reasonable, but I would probably use these reels in saltwater only knowing they would need lots of maintenance. The advantage of the cassette system is the ability to have different lines spooled and at the ready with a single reel body.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I still have a Cortland reel with the cassette system. Mine were the black ported cassettes that were available in standard, mid, and large arbor. So there was some nice versatility there. Unfortunately the actual reel was very low quality and after two of the plastic spools cracked, the whole kit got relegated to closet duty.

Pics of my STH ST-3 Turbine...you know, for prosperity.
Light Yellow Audio equipment Rim Automotive tire

Automotive tire Rim Motor vehicle Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great stuff, gentlemen, and much appreciated. This might be more than I need to know but I'll ask for informational purposes anyway. What is the "cassette system" and is that proprietary to STH reels?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ran into a friend (who is a fly guy) and he put me in touch with a fly shop owner/friend of his who made me a reasonable offer for all four which I accepted so thanks to all who responded with help. Apparently your thoughts on their value was very close to his and, if he can make a few more dollars selling them, I'm fine with that as well. Again, thanks all!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I still have a Cortland reel with the cassette system. Mine were the black ported cassettes that were available in standard, mid, and large arbor. So there was some nice versatility there. Unfortunately the actual reel was very low quality and after two of the plastic spools cracked, the whole kit got relegated to closet duty.

Pics of my STH ST-3 Turbine...you know, for prosperity. View attachment 375707

Pics of my STH ST-3 Turbine...you know, for prosperity. View attachment 375707
View attachment 375706
If you want to unload that turbine reel, I may be interested. If for no other reason, it is an interesting conversation piece.
View attachment 375706

1 - 14 of 14 Posts