Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Flaccid Member
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just remember, throw 'em back

usually at this time of year i am rippin lips in the salt and having way too much fun with the fish bonker. but with this abnormaL salmon year, i am searching out new options. im thinking some fat rainbows sound good. i have the location but i would really appreciate some input on tactics.

id really like to polish my subsurface presentations (chronnies, nymphing, etc.) but i wouldnt mind raising a fish or two to a dry. one spot of mine that i really have my eye on is real small (a pond actually) and the deepest spot is about 12-15ft deep. the majority of the pond is 5-7 feet deep and has quite a tint to it. what kind of hatches on the surface would i most likely encounter as well as what might be stirring subsurface.

any reports of chum on the stilly or snohomish would be great.

thanks, -sean-

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have worn your "bonker" to the nub in the the salt, I think your probably smart enough to figure stillwaters out on your own. When I read a posting where someone needs some advice, if I feel I can help, I try to do so. But just ask, don't use the carrot and donkey trip with your pond full of fat rainbows unless you want to name its location. I have lots of "spots" but I respect them not to mention it unless I'm taking you there.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
This time of the year ou should expect either hatches of chironomids or, maybe, callibaetis. I was over at North Lake, just off of I-5 and south off of 320th, and I did notice a very few mayflies taking flight. Still, it's best to expect chironomids above anything else. Still, there ain't much to be found, unless the sun comes out and warms the cold water a touch. If that happens, you will be in very good shape. I was once blessed in mid-March this year under such conditions and scored huge at Martha Lake on Lakewood Rd, west of Arlington. The water was still in the 40's, and the cutts were slashing just subsurface. Even better were the big fat 'bows swimming below them. When it's cold, the trout are in 10 ft and shallower waters. Life is very good then, though it's a bitch to do more than 4 hours in a float tube.

·
Formerly Tight Loops
1,341 Posts
Yep. Its become lake season again, and Ceviche mentions why I happily like my canoe. Now in truly crappy weather, I am still not in the greatest of comfort, but it sure beats being in water that colder than a welldiggers butt.

That out of the way, I guess I could advertise that there applications are being accepted for a new bow paddler/fly fisher.

While I would like to hit Greg's Custom Rods in Lake Stevens on Saturday, I am free to review those applications either weekend day.

Rob
---------
Genetic pollution damages wild
stocks, bonk those Hatchery Zombies!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.