Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

After the anchor post this seemed like a good one to bring up.

What do you do for rope storage in your boat?

I have a 12' Jon and use milk crates to hold my pullers and the rope. They are a little clunky and get in the way a bit. So I'm looking for new ideas!

Thanks

Jon

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a small Klein canvas "pocket" that holds my stern anchor and rope. I was thinking of getting a Klein canvas bucket for my bow anchor and rope. Soft and no noise. They do get dark from wet rope, but no bid deal. They also make these in a durable rubberized material.

View attachment 136698
That's what I've been looking at. I figured with most of my rope in the water I could tuck it under the bow seat a bit and open up a bunch of room. Great idea.

Jon

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a small Klein canvas "pocket" that holds my stern anchor and rope. I was thinking of getting a Klein canvas bucket for my bow anchor and rope. Soft and no noise. They do get dark from wet rope, but no bid deal. They also make these in a durable rubberized material.

View attachment 136698
Jeff: What a great idea. Where did you find one? Thanks.
Denny

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Jeff: What a great idea. Where did you find one? Thanks.
Denny
The one I was looking at is a bit spendy at $33 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-...&qid=1489837390&sr=8-13&keywords=Klein+canvas

They also come up on eBay, and can be pretty inexpensive as a used item. They are well made bags intended to hold heavy objects, and be suspended by the handle.

They make other bags shapes that also work well, The bag below is a small one from Klein an it easily has room for a 5-pound anchor and 40' of braided rope.
Drinkware Stemware Sleeve Fluid Barware

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts

I use one of these to carry sand bags and rubber pads to and from the shooting range. I bought mine at Harbor Freight at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Sometimes they are referred to as a tool bag. I have spotted a couple at second hand stores too....like St Vincent's. Never looked at prices but imagine under ten bucks easily.

I have not used my boat for a number of years. I did the milk carton thing to. Tool bag never occurred to me....great idea.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Here is my set up. Use on float tube, framed and frameless pontoon, and boat. Use para cord. Scotty strap on anchor drop system. The reel is a diving marker, and holds about 50 feet. The winder holds 100 feet, for those really deep water vertical presentations. Anchor set up with a zip tie that can breakaway if anchor ever gets hung up, like on a stump at Rattlesnake!

Attachments

·
123 Posts
Ron, that is a nice set-up. Today I was installing the same Scotty anchor drop on my canoe. How does it work with the paracord? I had considered using paracord but thought it might be too flexible narrow to activate the line lock. I'll give it a try tomorrow.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Along with the management of anchor line comes the question, how long an anchor line? I have about 30' of para cord tied to the window weight I've used with my canoe. I'm planning to buy a 10# pyramid anchor and need to get some high falutin' line to tie to it. How much? Besides long enough to reach the bottom, of course.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Along with the management of anchor line comes the question, how long an anchor line? I have about 30' of para cord tied to the window weight I've used with my canoe. I'm planning to buy a 10# pyramid anchor and need to get some high falutin' line to tie to it. How much? Besides long enough to reach the bottom, of course.
I usually get 125'-150' cut it in half, 50'/75', 60'/90' or somewhere along that length . The rear rope usually doesn't need to be much longer than the depth you are fishing but the front should be long enough to get a good angle to hold in higher winds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.