Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
15,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to figure out how I will anchor the pram. I've used a 5# window weight on my canoe for decades. The canoe has low wind resistance once it aligns with the wind direction, and it doesn't take much to hold it in place. The smallest mushroom anchors I've seen in sporting goods and boating stores are 6 and 8 pounds. There are these folding cast iron anchors with 4 spikes at 1 1/2, 3, and 5 or 6 pounds. Is it useful to use a heavier anchor for the second one to hold a boat steady in the wind while chironomid fishing? Or am I beginning to over think this stuff?

Sg

·
(aka. wabowhunter)
790 Posts
I use a 12lb downrigger ball on bow and 10lb on the stern. (On the Walker Bay)

For most of the lakes in eastern Washington the round ball works best for me. Even on a windy day I just let more anchor line out and it holds.

·
Custom Title
12,145 Posts
I use 10# pyramid anchors that I poured on my 'toons, and a 15# & a 10# pyramid on the pram. I use a pair of compact, folding fluke anchors or 1 anchor & a stake-out pole on my Nucanoe - usually in shallow bays.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
I use 2, 10lb mushroom anchors fore and aft on my 10' pram. Most days, this works great for chironomid fishing. I also carry a 15lb mushroom for especially windy days. Then I'll double up the 10's on the bow and drop the 15lb off the stern. With enough scope in the anchor lines and a relatively soft bottom, this setup holds in sustained 20mph wind.

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
I like pyramid anchors for stillwater. They hold well enough on a hard bottom and unlike mushrooms don't get overly stuck in soft mud.

Those little folding ones do great in a soft bottom but will bring up a ton of weeds, useless on a smooth hard bottom.

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
I use 2, 10lb mushroom anchors fore and aft on my 10' pram. Most days, this works great for chironomid fishing. I also carry a 15lb mushroom for especially windy days. Then I'll double up the 10's on the bow and drop the 15lb off the stern. With enough scope in the anchor lines and a relatively soft bottom, this setup holds in sustained 20mph wind.
I also like to carry a really heavy anchor. Remember when we were able to stay anchored in 35+ mph winds with 50 mph gusts. Do you also remember how I almost swamped the boat trying to drag that dang thing up off the bottom. I do miss that anchor.

I also use rocks when needed, but anchor line pitch is extremely important.

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
Beware, those rocks could become a scarce commodity if @Dustin Bise keeps throwing them all in the lake.;)
guilty. i usually take them from the scree areas but sometimes when im done with them i just dump my bag of rock in the lake. let me know if that is bad form.

ill post my float tube anchor set up tomorrow, im going fishing soon so im getting rigged up.

·
FishyJere
719 Posts
Pyramid anchors are best. They punch into the bottom and have a big top that tilts, grabs and holds. They are compact and easy to store/clean. I have almost never had problems with slipping using 10# on a stillwater pram and pontoon boats. In the pram, I carry a 5# second pyramid for stabilization but almost never use it. I just re-cast and swivel in the seat. I don't like having all that gear down there that fish can get tangled in. And did I mention cheap?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.