Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a chance to help this once great river!!

August 7th Stillaguamish River Cleanup...you're invited!

Join RE Sources, Puget Soundkeeper Alliance, and the Stilly-Snohomish Fisheries Enhancement Task Force for a River Cleanup on August 7th

It's the time of year that we all love to spend time on the water. Some of us love it so much that we party hard and forget to pick up our trash. But we don't want the trash to end up in Puget Sound, where it will float around for years, break down into small pieces, and enter our food chain. So join us for a half day of litter collection, and at the same time meet new friends, find cool plastic items, and have a great time! Here's a picture of the place we will begin the trash hunt:

Where: Blue Stilly Park on the Stillaguamish River near Arlington
Directions: Exit I-5 at exit 208. Go east on Hwy 208. Take the first left onto 27th Ave NE. Drive to its terminus (1/2 mile). We will have temporary Fish and Wildlife parking permits for everyone who attends. If you have a Fish and Wildlife Vehicle Use permit, bring it.

When: The event begins at 10:00 am. Come early to meet new friends, have a snack, and to view our brand new display about the hazards of marine plastics! Plan to keep helping until 1:00 pm or later.

Why: We all want to keep plastic and garbage out of the water. If you've never been to one of our cleanup events, it's time to try it--you'll be amazed at how much fun you have. Plan on pick-up activities to continue until noon, with a trivia contest and prizes for the most unusual found items!

What to bring: Prepare to get dirty, as trash collecting can be hazardous. The best stuff (fishing lures) are usually buried under logs and rocks. Dress for the weather - we suggest long pants, sturdy shoes, hats, gloves, sunscreen, and your re-usable water bottle. Bring whatever you need to be comfortable outside. If you have a plastic 5-gallon bucket, bring it. Buckets are great for sharp objects.

We will provide: Extra gloves, water, snacks, fascinating information and inspiration, trash dumpsters, recycle containers, and new friends!

Contacts:

Lee ([email protected]) or Matt ([email protected]).

About the North Sound Baykeeper

The North Sound Baykeeper is your local advocate for the protection and conservation of marine waters in Whatcom and Skagit Counties.

The North Sound Baykeeper is a project of RE Sources, a local not-for-profit organization, dedicated to providing education about local environmental issues, assisting the public in identifying and solving local environmental problems, and to demonstrating environmentally viable business practices.

Events and Opportunities listings are provided to the interested community as a service of the North Sound Baykeeper.

The North Sound Baykeeper is funded by private giving dollars. To help support the North Sound Baykeeper project, send a check to North Sound Baykeeper, RE Sources, 2309 Meridian Street, Bellingham, WA, 98225. Specify 'Baykeeper' in the subject line.

RE Sources North Sound Baykeeper website: www.re-sources.org/baykeeper.htm

RE Sources | 2309 Meridian Street | Bellingham | WA | 98225

·
Registered
695 Posts
It needs it, that river is a garbage dump below Arlington. I would consider helping, but I'm out of town that weekend. I wonder how much area they will cover, because the trail of litter goes all the way to the tidewater.

The best time to do this would be after Humpy season as that whole mess gets washed downstream quickly with the fall rains.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding anyway pard, you bumped it up for me!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I urge everyone that fishes the Stilly to come out and join this event or at least become a part of the task force to clean up this area. Blue Stilly park was piled with trash after the Fourth and is only getting worse with the picnickers and inner tubers. I cannot be at this event but I have started to consolidate the trash for pickup and I urge everyone that comes to my clinic each first and third Saturday to bring a trash bag to help. This is a big problem that needs to be addressed by the authorities because most cars do not have parking permits and there is also blatant camping there which should not happen because the area is closed to the hours of darkness. I know that the various agencies are overworked but we do need to let them know that we care about this. If you have some ideas please let me know. Thanks MK

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gotta keep this up there!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bump

·
Banned
82 Posts
nice going for all your efforts. we need to clean up the cedar river too. last week i bagged up a bunch of beer cans that were on a small bar into a plastic bag and set them higher on a big overhang limb but didn't return the same way on account of my dog and forgot about it. yesturday as i worked my way behind the golf course there were beer cans all over the place. really wish i could have cleaned it all up but just didn't have anything on me.

I should have wrapped the cans in the 2 towels that i found that were in good shape, plus a full bottle of 70 sunscreen. u hate to see that stuff layin there. I felt bad not picking that stuff up but i was sweatin about 2 lbs of fat off me. i know, i should have picked them all up and sweated off another lb. maybe next time

·
Just swimming around, chasing fish in Beervana
65 Posts
Having just fished up there for a significant amount of time for the first time in my life earlier this week, all I have to say is wow! Beautiful place but definitely a lot of garbage. Found a huge party at one of the local swimming holes where a family had brought down a large bbq, three full-sized tables, two boomboxes and were producing a lot of garbage. I sure hope they picked it up because they were living it up! These events are important and I especially like how the author, Chris, gave the run down of the Puget Sound garbage cycle in the intro. Good stuff!

Jeff

·
AKA Beadhead
493 Posts
Thanks Chris J for posting this cleanup event!
The Stillaguamish river is a very special place for many of us, and it is being trashed worse than I have ever seen.

I am one of the people organizing the event through my work with Puget Soundkeeper Alliance and a grant we have from Boeing to clean up our waters. Please join us on the 7th--- I'd really like to see a good turnout from the flyfishing community!

Thanks to our friends at North Sound Baykeeper and Stilly Snohomish Fisheries Enhancement Task Force, they are helping organize this event and deserve your support as well.

Chris Wilke
Puget Soundkeeper Alliance

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank YOU Chris W, for doing the leg work. I caught my first steelhead on a fly in the North fork stilly, it holds a special place in my heart!

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.