Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

If I was you I would check out the flows at the top of the home page. The N/Fork is running at about 2000 cu Ft as opposed to about 300 cu ft a week ago and the S/Fork about the same. I think that your beach is still under water. If I was to go fishing I would probably try to hit the Sky Or any of the smaller rivers.

The Sky is starting to clear and the Sultan is at summer time flows.

Jim

Edit: To bad the Pilchuck River isn't open yet because it is in very good shape. Just a few more days. :THUMBSUP

·
Registered
385 Posts
I went over the lower river in Sylvana earlier today, And I agree with the old man and I would head south. The river is still higher than it has been all year, and still looks like a river bed full of Chocolate Milk. :THUMBSUP

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

It's not that bad. Give it a week of no rain and it should drop far enought to fish. But I wouldn't bet too much on it as the clay slide up on the S/Fork will probably bleed all winter long. But being that it is high on the S/fork it will run clear by the time it gets to Silvana. At least that is what I'm hoping for.

Jim

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wouldn't count on the main river or lower n/fork clearing until late July. The only chance would be another dry spell or several feezing days.
Of all the sound rivers, the stilly is by far in the worst shape. If you look at the hydrograph, after any rain event the graph will go straight up and make the water look like choclate milk for weeks, or until the next rain hits, then the cycle continues. There are still slides on both forks, and all the sediment that has built up will take years to eventually flush out.
I know of a few guys though who have done well for steelhead/salmon in the dirty water, but usually with gear set up.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

I just had a stupid idea go thru my brain. As the DOT of Washington is putting cameras all over the state to check on road conditions. Why couldn't the dept of F & W put cameras at all of the gauges so we could see what the rivers look like. Instead of wasting gas driving there you could just click on a picture. I think that would really be neat.

Jim. P/S When you are awake all night your brain doesn't function very well as you can see from what I wrote.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.