Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2000 4Runner always stinks in winter as a reality of the dank weather. That and I have dumb-as things like leave the sunroof open for days on end when it is raining.

I can spend $300 for the major interior detail, and the problem will be back next winter. Or I can spend $750 and have the interior sprayed after I rip the carpeting out. Has anyone every had this done on a vehicle interior? Just looking for feedback / input.

Thx.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
If you're going to rip out the interior anyway I bet you could get a new set of carpets (or even a used set from a junk yard) for less. I would imagine that you will lose some sound deadening and insulation properties if you go to bare treated floors.

edit: quick internet search yielded http://www.stockinteriors.com/items...unner_Carpet&gclid=CLSao6DR158CFQ-lagodM2zBHA with $244.95 for the entire interior, less for the front half only. There were several other sites as well with the quick google search of "2000 4-runner carpet"

Rob

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
just rent out a carpet cleaner with hand attachment and get some heavy-duty commercial carpet cleaner and go to town! You can also clean the ceiling apolstry as well with the hand attachment. Something like 25.00 a day last time I looked. Buy a decent reel with the extra money you save!

I'm going to do this not only to my 98' 4Runner, but to my Camry as well, bought it couple months ago from a smoker, eck!

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Remove the seats and carpet and have the floorboards sprayed with a good heavy coat Line-X.
Then bolt the seats back in and throw away the carpet.
I wish they offered that from the factory.

·
Josh S
704 Posts
I used to work for Rhino linings once upon a time, spraying the inside is a nice option, but the road noise will be quite a bit louder. The reason it stinks now is from moisture in the carpets. Just give it a good cleaning and put a fan in there to dry it for a few days, then get some of those rubber floor mats that trap the water from your boots and keep the carpets dry and you shouldn't have any problems. I also run the heater non-stop on a cool setting whenever I'm in my toyota just to keep things dry and the air circulating.

·
Banned
2,051 Posts
I had a ford with the sprayed floor. It was worth any amount of additional road noise. :thumb: 15 min with a bucket of water/simple green and a shop vac and it was as good as new. they also make the hard shell molded floors which are even better. I had one in my second ranger. You get the best of both worlds. The durability of a sprayed liner and padding underneath for the road noise. That is the route I'd go.

http://www.automotiveinteriors.com/carpetsuv/toyota/4runner4dr96_02vinylcomp.htm

I've never bought from these guys, so do some homework first. My kit was OEM

G

·
When I was in the autoglass business we did a ton of dealer warranty work that most often involved water leaks. The stink is not in the carpet but in the cellulose based insulation under the carpet. It has an organic base and is extremely dense. The only effective way to get rid of the stink is to remove the carpet and hang it over saw horses and spray a bleach water solution on the insulation. Then let it dry REALLY well, spray a mold killing agent of some sort throughout the vehicle before re-installing the carpet and you are good to go. It is a pain but will work.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So here is where I am at - for what it is worth....

I bought an OEM replacement carpet with a super thick EVA backing that will prevent water from going through to the floor. As I was pulling up the carpet I found that it was indeed the carpet that stank. While I am at it, I figured that I might as well throw some soundproofing in and bought some Dynamat. I typically spend a week at home, a week hunting & fishing. Some of those trips go out to ND, so having a vehicle that is quieter than nosier is worth it to me. Along the way of researching soundproofing I found this stuff that will make your car "tomb like quiet" from Second Skin Audio. So this soundproofing will go on top on the Dynamat, new carpet on top of that, and Weathertech mats on top of that. So the carpet job has turned into the major soundproof / carpet job.

As long as I am doing things I like to do them once, and do them right. I can post images of the job if anyone is interested.

·
BAMF
369 Posts
back when i had my wrangler i just pulled the carpet out and herculined the crap out of it, i hardly ever kept the plugs in the floorboard drains. whenver i got done doing whatever i was doing i would give her bath with the ol garden hose, never hurt a thing and she was alway squeak clean. i also didnt worry about road noise, the only thing that would drown out the road noise from the tires was the stereo all the way up. damn i should have never sold that thing. if i could rip my leg off i would kick myself in the balls for selling it.

anyways, there was several times i would have loved to been able to hear myself think when driving that thing. im pretty sure i lost a bit of hearing from the wrangler. anwyays, good luck and lets see some pictures.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.