Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was broke into last night in Bremerton. Apparently my son left the doors unlocked when he got something out of the car. Was pretty pissed, but they probably would have just smashed a window if it wasn't unlocked, so at least I don't have to get that replaced.

Stolen was a 9' 5 wt St. Croix Avid, a 9' 5 wt White River cheap ass rod with matching reel, Lamson Konic 2 , and a Wright and Mcgill chest pack containing all of my beach flies. Luckily my backpack containing several other reels was not touched for some reason. Anyway, if anyone happens to come across someone trying to unload this stuff on the sly somewhere, please let me know.

Sucks, but could have been a lot worse.

Oh, and I'm now in the market for a new 5 wt. Was looking to upgrade soon anyway, so now is as good a time as any.

Nick

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Derek. I don't have my heart set on that rod at all. In fact I tried to give it away a few times. Its just been kicking around since I bought it in the summer of 07 during a weekend fishing trip on the Jackson river in Virginia while I was over there for work. My buddy and I each bought the outfit for like 90 bucks since we didn't want to shell out much money just for a weekend trip. I've used it as my backup 5 wt since I traded away my BIIx. That one is not a great loss. The whole situation just irritates the hell out of me. Probably funding someone's next meth fix or something.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
Watch craigslist for your stuff.
While a reasonably intelligent person wouldn't think of using Craigslist to off stolen gear, the kind of guys who steal stuff often don't fall into the same category. Here's a story of just how dumb some of those guys really are.

My wife's brother Dan from Boise had a bunch of gold panning gear stolen from the back of his pickup camper a month or so ago. He immediately filed a police report and the cops didn't hold out any hope for recovery. A friend said to check with pawn shops, which he did. The shops told him that Idaho law requires anyone pawning something to present a photo ID which discourages thieves from using the pawn to fence stolen gear. They said to watch Craigslist instead.

Not an hour later, Dan found the gear in a CL ad including one photo that clearly showed his initials painted on the back of one gold pan. He took a screen shot of the ad and then called the guy selling them who said they were sold. Quickwitted dan asked him if he had anything else for sale and eventually got the guy's address, saying he'd be over in an hour or two to look at the other stuff for sale (which he had no intention of buying.)

The seller took down the CL ad within minutes after Dan hang up, but fortunately he had the screenshot print of the ad. He then called the cops back and met with a detective who took the screenshot print and then visited the seller, pretending to be Dan. Long story short, the guy got busted and the guy who bought the stolen gold stuff ended up getting hosed for the $300 he paid to the thief. BTW, Dan's gold gear spent the next 3 weeks in a BPD evidence locker until they finally gave it back to him.

K

·
Fish Slayer
1,557 Posts
It sucks, but why did you leave your gear in the car?!?!?! Seems like it is the norm now to get your rig broken into if you leave anything in it. I am not exempt from this... Two years ago, my wife put her back pack/purse on the front seat. We come back from a walk on the beach and window broken, purse gone... I yelled at her and she has never done it again... Now I have a 15% window tint and dont leave anything in the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.