Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, where can i get a stomach pump? I know many flyfishers and guides on the local river that i frequent, use stomach pumps to pump out the food that the fish ate. Where can i get one? Also, do they do any permanent damage to the fishes stomach or lining on the wall of the stomach? Much help would be appreciated. :DUNNO

~Ryan

·
Registered
515 Posts
When I started flyfishing about ten years ago, I took an intro course at Kauffman's Streamborn. They sold me a stomach pump as an "indispensable" accessory. They insisted that, if used properly, it doesn't hurt the fish at all. I stopped carrying it about 9 years ago, mostly just because I was carrying so much junk that I had bought (because it was indispensable), that I needed to be more selective. When I did use it, it was fascinating to see the contents of the fish's stomach, but I really can't say that it ever helped me catch more fish. If anything, it taught me that most the bugs in a fish's stomach don't have wings yet, unless you're in the middle of a hatch, in which case you don't really need a stomach pump to see what they're eating. Anyway, I'll bet you could still get one at Kauffman's. Or you can have mine.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I can't believe that pumping a fishes stomach doesn't hurt the fish. Not only does it require having the fish out of the water much longer than typical C&R, but I bet that it's also quite easy to slip and do damage to the fishes mouth/jaw/lungs/stomach or all of them. Not to mention depriving the fish of his hard-earned days worth of forage. That food that's being pumped is nutrituion that he'll need to recover from the fight in the first place.

No stomach pumps. If you caught the fish in the first place, then you already have a good idea of what he's been eating. I agree that it's fascinating to see what's in the fishes stomach, but it's not worth it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Is there such a thing as "Fish Lungs", or is that what Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) was talking about when he wrote "Aqua Lung". I'm just wondering if there is something that I missed in Marine Biology?

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Done carefully, and with the fish mostly in the water all the time, you can extract the partiel contents of the fish digestive tract with no lasting harm. Does this stress the fish? Of course it does. Last year I had a huge Rainbow trout in Russia regurgitate an enormous and partially digested mouse into my hand, after taking a big mouse fly off the surface.Those fish take a beating during the salmon runs, slamming around and fighting with the salmon over the redds, and fighting with other bows. If you handle them gently it's not a problem.Most people that I know who use stomach pumps only do so for a while, as part of the learning curve.After that they put them away.

·
Registered
621 Posts
To try to get a better idea of what fish are feeding on, I've recently started using a net with a very fine weave. I got mine at a fly shop - it's white and stuffs into a little pouch. The pouch fastens to the neck of your net by a velcro strip. When you want to sein the water, you take it out of the pouch and pull it over the frame of your landing net. This worked really well for me recently. I found a small olive bug (mayfly?) in the water and switched to a sz 20 flashback pheasant tail. Started catching fish right away. When the bite stopped, I seined again and found out that they were taking scuds. Unfortunately, I didn't have any scud imitations in my box. Faced with a decision to throw a big attractor or call it a day, I called it a day. If I hadn't seined the water, I might have kept on fishing and who knows - fish could have been on something else 1/2 mile downstream. Sometimes you got to be careful what you ask for... However, overall this seems to have promise. Anyone else out there use this technique to ID bugs?

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Here's what I do. I give the fish a big open mouth kiss, and suck as hard as I can. I spit the stomach contents into my hand. Just ask you're girlfriend or wife for the proper tecnique :KISS (sorry, I had to say that, bad YT) :DEVIL

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I do use a small seine to get some insects but thought a pump would give me a wider range of insects.
I still don't know if it is worth it to get a pump :HMMM

~Ryan

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

I've thought about it a time or two,but I put it out of my mind. I figured that if I didn't know how to use one that I don't need it in my hands. How would you like something poked down your throat in the hands of some one who didn't know how to use it. :EEK

Jim

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
The only time I ever use mine is when I plan on keeping the fish. And thats to see if there is anything else they are feeding on. Other than that, if your hooking fish and letting them go, who cares. And if your not hooking fish, a pump wont help you anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.