Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Leland - are these soles the same as others (i.e. Simms) is now using or is that a secret?

Have you test waded and compared to felt in streams and seaweed covered beaches?

Do you know if these soles can be put on a boot that has felt (after removing felt of course). I asked a guy in a fly shop if Simms could do that he said not at this time (some months ago). Two factors were glue formula and availability of the vibram soles from manufacturing.

I have a pair of getting on in their age Simms (that I got a great deal on at your shop) and they will need new felt soon so look at options. New boots entirely is one option.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leland - are these soles the same as others (i.e. Simms) is now using or is that a secret?

Have you test waded and compared to felt in streams and seaweed covered beaches?

Do you know if these soles can be put on a boot that has felt (after removing felt of course). I asked a guy in a fly shop if Simms could do that he said not at this time (some months ago). Two factors were glue formula and availability of the vibram soles from manufacturing.

I have a pair of getting on in their age Simms (that I got a great deal on at your shop) and they will need new felt soon so look at options. New boots entirely is one option.
Jim, I have worn the old aquastealth as well as plain old rubber flats shoes on the beach and have never found any big difference with felt. The new Orvis shoes have a different tread pattern than Simms that has been tested thoroughly (not by me as they just came in). They come with "opt out" studs. They are not removeable or interchangeable.

Right now we have only the side zipper Broques. When the Ultra Lights come in I will get them on my feet. Like you, my old felts are shot!

Leland.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Thanks. I am going to try to stop by to check it out. Probably wait for the next "event" mid Feb. Once felt gets worn down it has a hella of lot less stick-em. I took a hard fall last summer when my smoothed over, alien infested felt became as slick as deer guts on a door knob (I am still trying to figure out who came up with that saying) on a big flat rock and I ended up face first in a creek. Been thinking about switching over since.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I am going to try to stop by to check it out. Probably wait for the next "event" mid Feb. Once felt gets worn down it has a hella of lot less stick-em. I took a hard fall last summer when my smoothed over, alien infested felt became as slick as deer guts on a door knob (I am still trying to figure out who came up with that saying) on a big flat rock and I ended up face first in a creek. Been thinking about switching over since.
You should see how worn mine are. I can see the undersole showing through.

I might have some of the other models by then. See you at the event.

Leland.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.