Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading some of the latest posts on hiking/fishing and abnormal trout reminded me of a hike-in trip up to Josephine Lake near Stevens pass a few years ago. I hooked and landed two trout which had distinct humps in front of the dorsal. Their jaws were also hooked or curved. They looked like a miniature spawning salmon.(I also caught several normal looking rainbow.)

Were these simply spawning trout in a mountain lake or a mutated trout.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Josephine does begin the headwater of Icicle creek, but as I recall the outlet descended in elevation rapidly immediately after leaving the lake. I imagine this would make it nearly impossible for the trout to spawn in the outlet.

Thank you for this information, as I've always been curious about those odd looking trout I caught that day.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Back to this post after 16 years...my grandfather who recently passed brought me to Josephine Lake in the late 80’s when I caught these strange looking cutthroat described in a previous post. As mentioned, we did catch some normal looking rainbow during that trip too. Out of curiosity, anyone else catch any of these humpback Cutts in Josephine over the years?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That's an excellent question. I just haven't made the time for much fishing in Washington since moving to Oregon
But I just took my kids fishing at Alta Lake a couple weeks ago. Pretty windy there. A few trailers and cars were damaged by fallen trees and a section of campground was closed. On the fishing side of things the wind made it difficult, but we did manage to catch a few nice bows pulling woolly buggers and prince

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.