Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall, i hiked up to Barclay Lake and the creek was dry where the bridge was. I don't know if this is a random event or if it happens every year, but does this kill all the fish in the creek? I know Barclay Creek used to provide some decent fishing, but has deteriorated recently. When a creek runs dry like this, does it run completely dry or are there isolated pools that retain water and keep some of the population safe?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Rory, I take a hike to Barclay every July - a childhood friend of mine died while BASE jumping above it a few years back. I've taken my fly rod a few times, but every time, I learn a lesson about what I'm really seeking when I go back. It's the answer to the question why, but it never comes. I've seen a few fish in the creek, however, but always left them alone.

Derek

·
Just an Old Man
35,204 Posts
This creek drys up like Money Creek does in the Summer. I fished or played around in that creek.. I was scoping it out before the skinny water open up one year. Saw where fish were laying and the different pools that held fish. So I went back in late July and the creek was dry up at the top. Where there was water flowing before opening day. it was bone dry.

·
Left handed Gemini.
538 Posts
I hike and sometimes camp near a creek up in the olympics that has a resident population of cutts that are cut off of the main river by some falls and some years the flows are so low that the creek goes underground in places but if you hike farther up will reappear the fish are small but always there.
tony

·
wishin' i was fishin'
870 Posts
if the creek runs dry and the fish are isolated in pools i think the water could get too warm and since there isnt moving water it would be de-oxygenized rather fast. also where would they get there food?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.