Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping to head to Pass this weekend or next to try some Fall streamer fishing and am itching to hit the tying bench...Any suggestions on streamer patterns to tie up? Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks stonefish. But when I click on the link (using tapatalk) it pulls up an unrelated thread about fishing in Okanagon. Weird.

I'll hunt around and see if I can find it though. Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I bought some big "bassturd" flies like this

Eye Gesture Eyelash Feather Eyewear

for rockfish from Puget Sound Fly Co. I love the rabbit strip. Tied some smaller ones up for trout and had great success. Just a rabbit strip tail then palmered rabbit strip body. The ones from PSFC have a bead head and dumbbell eyes for deep service.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the tips on patterns; I'll be tying some up this week.

I also have a similar minnow imitation that I developed for the Red Sided Shiners in Ross Lake; I might try that one as well.

Weird about that link from SF not working at first. I tried it again on my PC and it worked fine. I'm chalking it up to some Taptalk issue on the smart phone.

-Andy

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I was there last month, fished a smaller white bunny sculpzilla. Heading out I saw a fish slashed at the water next to the logs so I casted the fly there and retrieved. With 5ft of fly line left I lifted and started to back cast, this nice brown raced after the fly but veered off and dove down as the fly eventually flew out of the water. Damn! It could have been my first brown trout if I had more patience and stripped all the lines in…
Anyways, I’ve had the most luck with white streamer flies there. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,855 Posts
stonefish,
That's a very good-looking redside shiner imitation and they are probably the most common local lake baitfish, can you give a list of materials? I don't fish Pass very often but a friend of mine does and he offered this imitation of a fathead minnow which, according to him, is the predominant baitfish there.

View attachment 125382
Preston,
That isn't my pattern as I mentioned, but here is how I tied mine when I wrapped them up.

Hook - Tiemco 5263 size 4-8
I wrapped chennile around the hook shank before adding the Mylar pearl or silver tubing. I didn't want to tubing to collapse and the body to remain fuller.
Olive or gray bunny strip across the top.
I used red thread for the throat.
Stick on eyes coated with epoxy.
I had my best luck on size 6.

If I was tying these today, I'd use UV cure rather then epoxy and would consider using a small fish mask as well.
Hope this helps,
SF

·
Registered
748 Posts
I was wondering what type of retrieve/strip you guys use?
I've found in the lakes I fish in SW WA a fast strip works well. Cast out and as soon as the fly hits the water, start stripping the fly back as fast as possible.

Here's a few of the streamers I use for Browns down here-

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.