Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
The Tug Is The Drug
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be going to the Yak in late May. Looking for some ideas on patterns and or techniques that some of you might have had a little experience with. No one really ever seems to talk about fishing them, but I am sure that sculpins must exist right?

Any info/input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Yes, sculpin patterns work fine and big wooleys too. Just make sure you get your fly to the bottom and keep it there.

·
Bobbers n Beadz
936 Posts
I am an absolute streamer fanatic on the yakima... Sculpin patterns work very well, as well as some rubber legged articulated patterns, (only contains hook on back) and some leeches... I love the look of the rubber buggers and stuff like that

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Brown/Orange leeches have worked very well for me on the Yak. Gallagher @ the Yakima Fly Shop use to tie up some nice cone head streamers with brown/orange main colors....forget the name of them. Gold head, brown body, orange (legs). That was before his guiding and store days.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Small sculpin patterns (sculpzilla is my favorite) work well, particularly for large rainbows, which are opportunistic meat eaters. Be sure to mimic the natural fleeing habits of baitfish, which is to flee downstream. Throw a downstream mend as soon as your streamer hits the water, let it belly out, then strip quickly. Works all year, particularly in clear water, and eliminates the need to match any particular hatch.

·
$2 coyote steak
97 Posts
Vette...good advice. I have done the best with black wooly bugger stuff. Black marabou tail, black estaz, either black hackle or olive. Conehead or leadwraps. Seems to outperform all other colors out there.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Brown/Orange leeches have worked very well for me on the Yak. Gallagher @ the Yakima Fly Shop use to tie up some nice cone head streamers with brown/orange main colors....forget the name of them. Gold head, brown body, orange (legs). That was before his guiding and store days.
JJ Conehead!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.