Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just found this site and it's great. I'm taking the family to Curlew Lake in Ferry County in two weeks. My son and I like to do a little stream fly fishing, but in the one previous time we were there we didn't find any fish or really any good water. Let me say that he is a young beginner and isn't up to a lot of bush whacking, but a small stream, even with just small fish is a great time for both of us. Any ideas? My perfect stream would be 10' wide with minimal brush.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
they print things called maps, also the state regs will help you determine which are opened or closed. Sorry for being an ass, but find a map find the streams then ask about those streams. You may get more help that way.

·
Registered
670 Posts
yeah, the typical response on here is to say get a map read a book. i won't do that. i see you may be in seattle, since you have to pass thru brewster anyways, look at the Methow River, water is high, check the regs, but it hold great cutthroat, and seasonaly amazing steelhead runs. Curlew itself has a bunch of fish in it, might give it ago in tubes, nearby is Bonaparte lake with a couple others near it, all are good, Bonaparte has a bunch of smallmouth in it, not many big ones but non the less very fun, they love woolies, brown and/or black. nearby Bonaparte and Curlew is the Kettle River, a nice stream as wel,l but a little tough fishing. try tubing some of those lakes.of course be sure of the regs. have fun and best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info gearhead. We'll have a boat on Curlew so we'll be able to fish the trout in there, but for me anyway, there's nothing like walking a little stream and sneaking a fly in wherever I can. My son feels the same way. We looked at the maps hard last year, but only had one afternoon to prospect. All the streams I targeted just didn't have access or were just too small. I guess we'll just try again in a different direction and hope we find something fishable.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Welcome Blind Squirrel, there is a lot more to getting a copy of the regs and a map. There is a search engine here on the site that is fantastic but you have to have a general idea where you might want to head off to explore. You won't find too many folks that will give you their favorite spots, but there are a lot of threads, reports and information about conditions. The more you are here researching the more you will find out and you'll find the folks here very helpful. This year in the regulations there are a few more waters that seem to have been shut down by WDFW, familiarizing yourself with the regs, which are fairly involved, is always a good idea.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since I'm the new guy here, I don't want to ruffle any feathers but I was just asking for a stream that somebody might know in that area where my son might have a good experience on, not anybodies favorite spot. I always check the regs before I fish any waters. I don't understand the angst against just asking. And I think I was pretty specific about the area. I guess I could list the streams I tried with no success and name all the other ones near there that I haven't tried if that is the correct protocol. I just thought this might be a site where people would help fellow fly fishermen. The response from gearhead was great.

Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude on this site.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Blind Squirrel, no feathers ruffled or intrustion. If after four posts you feel that the forum members are not helpful that is a decision you make, one which I think would be an error.

In one of my maps of Ferry County I can see dozens of creeks that are all small tributaries to the Columbia. There are dozens more that empty into the Sanpoil. A search of "Sanpoil" in the search engine here on WFF reveals two pages of threads with posts that might shed some light on what you seek. The further up the Sanpoil, the skinnier it gets. I'm not sure if it gets to 10' and brushless but it gets skinny. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/search.php?searchid=223379

A search of "Curlew" yeilds two more pages of information. There is some skinny water that looks interesting between Curlew and San Poil lakes. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/search.php?searchid=223390

To fish much of this area you'll need to contact the Colville Confederated Tribe (509)634-2110 as listed in the 2010 Sport Fishing Regulations on p.83. I don't know who's running their wildlife enforcement program but I hear they have a kick ass Chief of Police and Deputy Chief of Police.

Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the search help Mumbles. I sort of feel like I'm eavesdropping by reading other peoples threads, so I was hesitant to do that, but you're right there is some good info.

Since we don't have much time I'm thinking we'll go to the Kettle and try there. I'm not used to fishing larger rivers, but it sounds like easier access anyway. I've only fished with dry flys and from what people have posted it sounds more like a nymph area, but we'll give it a try anyway. We drove around for a couple hours last year looking at the tributary's last year and they were all just too small and/or dry.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
You are most welcome. When members put it into threads they are discussing, sharing or comparing things for anyone to read. That is why the search function is so key to getting up and running on what you might want to learn.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Most on here will answer most questions some won't answer any. Do your best with the search and then ask what you couldn't find. Then of course you can ask Mumbles because he's got an answer for everything and if you stump him he'll find an answer for you. He's' a good guy to have around even if he's trying to act like Old Man Jim, and even Old Man Jim isn't as bad as he tries to put on. by the way Welcome to the forum and have fun. Also take good care of the kids we'll have to rely on them some day.

·
Blind hog fisherman
2,895 Posts
Blind Squirrel: welcome to the site. I've been on here a year, gotten "dusted" a couple of times but mostly just great support and suggestions on how to search for my beach fishing locations. As has been said, you aren't likely to get anyone to post bodies of water for you to fish. There is a history of posts where you can get information using the search function on this site. I use Google Earth for some of my recon work. Couple that with Gazetteer and maybe the Flyfisher's Guide to Washington and you've got a good start. Good luck and post how you did (not where you did it). By the way, I just opened the above referenced book and the first page I looked at described a "small freestone stream with excellent brown trout" in the vicinity of where you'll be. I don't know if it's true but I would definitely check it out if I were going near there.

·
AKA flyman219
921 Posts
I like to fish the Kettle river upstream of the town of Curlew in August when it's real low. I would think the river may still be a bit high for easy wading to the spots that I have found before the end of July. Some of my favorite Kettle river water is downstream of Torda creek, Beal Park has a nice access. We have driven along Torada creek a few times and it looked fishy but access looked limited due to private property. We also watched a cougar cross the road in August a couple of years ago just west of the Kettle river. The San Poil might be your best bet if you fish north of the Colville reservation. If you fish on the reservation land, which looks nice, be sure to buy a tribal permit. The river is small and the tribal lands look to be a bit more open with less brush if you decide to get a tribal permit.

Mike.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
Welcome Blind Squirrel.
One good thing/bad thing about moving water in the drier side of the state is that it will be brushy. Brushy = good fish habitat, hard to fish = good fish habitat. Get over it.
Pick the bigger rivers when it is at low flows or just stick to the lake.
If you think I'm rude, your right.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Just a note here: Blind Squirrel is not to be confused with Bline Skwirl-my longtime fishing buddy of 25 years. One sounds relatively new to the game while the other is a wily, cagey and crusty old veteran.

As for the Curtis Creek Blind Squirrel is seeking, it is an elusive target here in the state of Washington. I have been in every county of the state and have seen few such creeks. There are a few that run through lovely meadows, contain trout and are exactly what Blind is looking for. However they are almost all on private property and guarded by a multitude of NO TRESPASSING signs. As previously noted, most creeks are so brushy that access is nearly impossible. Combine that with the fact that this is our highest water in years and the prospects are not too good.

However I can think of one stream right off the top of my head that would be perfect. It is the upper Thompson River in Montana that runs through lush meadows with lots of room for a backcast. It is a small stream up that high and the last time I was there I caught 3 species of trout, many on dry flies and some much larger than I anticipated for such a small stream. It seems like it would be a good place to take a youngster and teach him about stealth, presentation, matching the hatch and nymphing.

Also there is some water in the Pasayten Wilderness that matches the description but you will have to work hard to get there.

Good luck with your quest, PM me if you find such a stream. I have been looking for that creek since 1979.

Ive

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.