Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. Since I wanted to try and stay as close to the original look as possible, for starters anyway, I bypassed materials that looked to contain added flash products. I ended up ordering several flavors of Hareline Polar Dub. I'm hoping it proves to have ample fiber length. Wish I'd included a few colors of Ice Wing Fiber, as well. It looks like it might be a finer fiber that might give more movement to this relatively "stiff" lookin' streamer...that for some reason...has captured this fly tier's attention.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Bruiser Blend dubbing from Fly Fish Food has nice, long fibers.
Jim, some of their favorite patterns (like the Belly Scratcher Minnow) have me all stirred up and ready to order the goods (like the Bruiser Blend and Bruiser Blend Jr.) and start tying. But for several weeks I've held off because they can't keep the basic baitfish belly colors (white and cream) in stock. I'm sure they will find the rhythm for keeping these in stock very soon. I love their website, patterns, and in-depth look at products (see the UV Shootout). From what I've seen, I'm not sure that Bruiser Blend has the "see thru" quality I'm looking for on this streamer, though.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
Chris,
Good looking bug.
What type of fish do you plan to target with them?
SF

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Brian, I think bass and src would eat it. I think there are probably more effective streamers for all the fish that eat fish that we like chasin' (like maybe a Clouser? :)). I like the fairly transparent look of it though, and it seems kinda different and fun to tie. I'm interested to see how effective a baitfish pattern that seems to have a great look....but limited movement/wiggle/action...is. Eivind (in the video) was using them on "sea trout". The guy in the fishtec blog, with the variations, was catching polluck. Do you think a coho, if we are ever allowed to fish em' in the salt again, would eat one? (note: I'd probably have to be pretty satisfied with the day's catch before I'd snip off my Clouser to try this)

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
Chris,
On any given day, searuns will eat just about anything. Other days they can be pretty picky.

Always work a try for both searuns and coho.
Sometimes just fishing something different then a clouser has its rewards.
You might want to tie some up in true baitfish colors for coho.....you know, something like chartreuse and pink ;)

Post up some pics once you crank out a few.
SF

Reactions: c1eddy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.