Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been contemplating getting a 5+ piece pack rod for a couple of years. I've read about 25 threads where pack rods have been discussed or listed in the classifieds. Who out there has a pack rod that they are really happy with (or really hate)? I've been looking at building another from a 7pc blank, the 8pc Echo Trip, some of the Cabelas pack rods and of course a number of 5 pc rods that will break down to about 22-24". I'd like it reliable, the smaller packing the better. Just wondering who's still happy with theirs? The girls and I have been talking up some nice hikes and overnight camping trips...I'll be the one with the pack full of our things. The right pack rod will be a nice addition. Thanks.

·
Registered
400 Posts
I bought the Cabelas 7 piece a while ago, used it once and will prob. never look at it again. I used a friends Winston LT (5Pc), and Im in love. A steep price tag, but it has great action, and is nice and light.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
check out the new redington ct 6 piece rods.....while i have only played with the 4 piecers...this is a sweet action trout rod....CT=classic trout. It is a slower/softer action rod, somewhat like my sage LL.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Mr Mumbles; The all-time greatest absolute without question numero uno, best in the west, favorite pac rod is a Batson RX8+ 904-4. It makes hikes easier, more enjoyable, improves scenary, prevents blisters, allows for greater wild-life viewing, keeps mosquitos away....you get the idea! :clown:

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,371 Posts
Ed, I have some Redington Wayfarers in 5, 6 & 7 pcs. My rcommendation is to try and stick to even numbers of sections. When you break a 5 or 7 piece rod in half, there is no half and there will probably be times when you want to do this.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Mumbles. You should pull the trigger on that SP you've been eying in the classifieds.

I just bought a 3wt and it casts like a dream. Dare I say better than my zaxis 5wt?

Kent Lufkin turned me onto the SP series. I'll send you a PM with the info he sent me. I doubt he'd mind.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
Mumbles. You should pull the trigger on that SP you've been eying in the classifieds.

I just bought a 3wt and it casts like a dream. Dare I say better than my zaxis 5wt?

Kent Lufkin turned me onto the SP series. I'll send you a PM with the info he sent me. I doubt he'd mind.
Glad to hear you like the 389-5 SP we discussed. They're wonderful rods and I've been bending Mumbles' ear via PM about their virtues.

As an off the wall alternative though, I had a pack rod built last spring from a Lamiglass 6-piece, 7-1/2 foot, 4wt blank. It's much more like a bamboo rod in its action yet has the lighter weight and no-maintenance benefits of graphite. The sections measure 18" or so long each and when I ordered the blank it came in a plastic tube with caps that ended up making a dandy rod tube. It fits easily in the top compartment of my backpack. If you're a 9-foot, fast action kinda guy, it's probably not gonna be your cup of tea. But as a very enjoyable, very packable rod for small to medium-sized trout, it's outstanding.

K

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all. I am eyeing some 5pc rods, but do think that even numbers are better like Freestone suggested. I'm looking at some 6pc and 8pc options. Mike, sorry, I'm set on 4pc rods, even though you build an awesome rod. Keep the great suggestions coming. I'm thinking a not super fast Z axis type action might be nice. I also am thinking 4wt, it is my favorite of all my rod weights so far and I've got a few to play with.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mike, any chance you'll build me a 6pc 4wt, say 8'6" or so?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Thank you all. I am eyeing some 5pc rods, but do think that even numbers are better like Freestone suggested. I'm looking at some 6pc and 8pc options. Mike, sorry, I'm set on 4pc rods, even though you build an awesome rod. Keep the great suggestions coming. I'm thinking a not super fast Z axis type action might be nice. I also am thinking 4wt, it is my favorite of all my rod weights so far and I've got a few to play with.
Ed,

Do you have a fiberglass rod in your quiver?

A friend built me a 7'6 6pc 4wt Lamiglass "Honey" rod and I love it to death. It is an absolutely great light trout rod. It's the opposite of the super fast "drive it like you stole it" actions that so many rods have these days.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Josh, I've got a three piece honey glass rod in that weight/length. I love it, but a 6pc would be ridiculously small and easy to pack... Besides, the smaller I can break it down the better I can conceal it on trips that are not supposed to be about fishing (guilty admission!).

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Josh, I've got a three piece honey glass rod in that weight/length. I love it, but a 6pc would be ridiculously small and easy to pack... Besides, the smaller I can break it down the better I can conceal it on trips that are not supposed to be about fishing (guilty admission!).
If you know someone who can built it up for you (or can do it yourself) they are pretty economical rods. $100-120 or so depending on components. Plus, lamiglas rods are made here in washington state, always plus.

·
Fish or Ski...Fish or ski....fish!
218 Posts
Hey Mumbles, 2 yrs ago I purchased a 4 pc 4 wt 8'6" TFO and have taken it in on all my pack trips. Great action and lifetime warranty. It's worked out great except in the high wind situations.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Slim, I've got two 4pc 8'6" 4wts and don't mind carrying them. Just wondering if anyone has a rock solid angle on smaller and more packable. My future hikes will likely have me carrying gear not just for me, but for the girls too. They are not quite the mule that I can be. The misses carries her own pretty darn well. I'll get the bulk of the stuff, so minimizing my gear is something I'm thinking about

Josh, I've not heard of the lamiglas honey rods in 6pc blanks. I will look into that for sure. I'm thining that a blank like that and a friend like Mike Ediger could be a winning combination!

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
In a hijacking attempt - has anyone devised a way to pack their pack rod is a less hefty tube?

I'm thinking about getting a plastic tube that weighs less than the 1lb sage tube I'm lugging around now.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You might save some weight with a thinner walled PVC tube and unless you are doing some tough scrambles where hard contact with rocks/trees is a concern it would be a bit of weight saved. You can likely fit two rods in to that single tube you have, or the one you substitute it with. For me I think the first ten to fifteen pounds of shaved hiking pack weight will be off of the guy packing and his cheeseburgers, not in the pack itself.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.