Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fly fished Sullivan Lake. I know there are big browns in the lake but have never fished for them. I have fished what we called Sullivan lake mill pond, also big fish in that. I wasn't flyfishing yet so it was with spinners and bait and I ate what I caught, college days and all. That's why I don't eat much fish now, all I could afford then!

Anyway, any Sullivan lake fly fishers out there. If so, how to, what, when and where, big lake and deeeeep.

I know the pop gear, lead line, trollers take some monster browns out of there every year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sullivan Lake is so huge that it is hard to fish it with flies unless you troll the banks.

I have fished it a couple times as we have a cabin on Pend O'Reille and haven't had much luck at any point, neither did any of the other fly fishers that I saw out there. The thing is there are some giant fish, you can see one swim by every once in a while.

The bridge on the south end of the lake by the campsite is a good place to go. The lake goes off to a little stream and the browns are at the edge of that. I would try that with size 4-10 Olive/Black leeches with some flash in there. You can park on the road and walk down to the water. It isn't extremely deep there and you can cast form shore or wade.

Have not fished Mill pond, but it is on the list when I can get back over to that side of the state. Some other good places are the little Pend O'Reille chain. They are great if you have a tub or pontoon. Small lakes and besides the 3 big ones, rarely anyone on the water.

Another one that is said to have huge fish is Brown's lake. It is a 4 wheel drive only road that goes back about 3 miles. Extremely small with a lot of lilly pads and very little bank fishing. Pontoon or Tube, and you are set.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Speaking of Browns Lake... ive been wanting to fish it for a while now and will probably head up there in a couple weeks once im done with school. Ive also been thinkin of goin to Bayley Lake, anyone ever fished it??? I got a float tube this weekend so im anxious to get on some water. :thumb If anyone wants to head up to one of these lakes or any other with me shoot me an email: [email protected]

Tyler

Here fishy, fishy, fishy...

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
WHAT??? Im not good enough to fish with anymore?? BTW: you owe me like 80 bucks now cause of the interest and past due payments for the campground fee and gas }( }( ...

Sullivan lake: Its huge and its deep so I have always stayed away from it but I am giving it a shot this weekend. I will let you know how I do and more than likely what not to do ;) ??

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
178 Posts
I realized i forgot to give ya some money right after you guys left. Ill have to buy ya lunch and what not next time we get together.

Youve fished Browns before havent ya?? I think im gonna head up there the weekend of the 9th and give it a shot. You up for some cutthroat fishin???

Tyler

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
That whole area is my backyard and where I like to relax if im gonna fish some still water. Been fishin it since forever ;-). Yeah we can make plans to camp out for the night and hit some different waters maybe?? We will be in touch.

G

·
IveofIone
Sullivan Lake is just a few minutes away from my house and it would sure be nice if I could go up there and catch an occaisional fish. I drive by it often and always watch for rising fish on the south end near the inlet of Harvey Creek. It is shallow there-stumps right now until the lake fills some more-and you would think that there should be trout taking flies but I almost never see any rises. Sometimes I take a pontoon boat up there with a depth finder and cruise around dragging buggers but so far no hook ups. In years that the lake freezes I have heard that the fishing can be real good just after the ice melts on the south end but it only last for a couple of days and then the fish disperse. It is hard to time that situation and the last two years there has been no significant ice at all. I was at the Mill Pond last week just looking around and some real big fish were bulging the surface down near the dam. The next calm evening we have I will get up there with my new Super Fat Cat and try to figure out what those fish are feeding on. The Mill Pond gets relatively little pressure and the browns in there are not real cooperative in bright daylight.
Another note about Sullivan. Fish and Game puts a trap in Harvey Creek in the fall to trap kokanee on their spawning runs and they do a fish count. The little creek gets thousands of bright red fish in it and it is a treat to walk along and observe the spawning activity. I was there several times last fall and never saw a kokanee over 9" in there, mostly around 7". No doubt the browns and big cutthroat eat well in the lake and might help to explain why a 2" woolly bugger holds little appeal to those fish. Ive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.