Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My search for a new U-type boat to upgrade my old Bucks Bag Mustang has led me to the Outcast Super Fat Cat. I need a boat that will get my butt out of the water and allow me to fish in my waist highs rather than use my chest waders. What experiences have you had with this boat and do you think there is anything better out there in the $300-$400 price range? Thanks for your input, Ive

·
Just an Old Man
35,203 Posts
I used to know it all---but now that I'm older I seem to forget it all.

Well I've been kinda looking at that new one put out by the Creek Co. It's called the SUB714. From what I've seen of it it has one pontoon like floatation device of 7 feet in length u shaped,with your butt out of the water. Comes with break down oars. I've been pondering about it. At $150.00 it almost looks like a steal. It only weights in at 20 lbs.

Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Old Man,
I got an email from creek co today that said they have discontinued the SUB 714. I think the price was probably too good to be true. I have seen several of those made in China boats like the Trout Unlimited Togiak,etc. that were so poorly made that they would be overpriced at half price. Bladder quality is the real measure of any flotation device and a good boat will have a good warranty. The cheaper boats seem to have the parachute warranty-bring it back if it fails. Not a real confidence builder! Ive

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Awesome boat. Rides high, comfortable seating, decent pockets. No complaints other than there are too many things to catch your line on, but what U or pontoon boat out there doesn't have that problem. pricey, but worth every penny...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Fat cat owner here, GREAT float tube! Nothing better. Sits high,moves fast,latex bladders(the best), indestructable PVC bottom, super light. The best in ANY float tube in my opinion. Again, pricey but worth every penny!
Now I'm in the market for a pontoon, hard choices there...

Peter ><>

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men" Matthew 4:19

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was looking at tubes & ended up with a Waterskeeter Pontoon I picked up at Costco. It's 7' & came with everything. Wire basket, trolling plate, 2 zipper storage bags, oars(not cheapies), padded seat, rod holder & air pump (2way) for under $400.

:rolleyes Good Luck, Jeff

·
Steve Daley - West Seattle Denizen
17 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Iveoflone,
I've got several Super Fat Cats and couldn't be happier. For situations where a decent walk is required to get to, it is what I use. Great for taking along deflated in your rig while stream fishing, should you run into dirty water or a lake that looks tempting.
I think you would enjoy it alot.
Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked up mine at Kaufmans it was last years model don't know if they have any left but it ran $220 or so. Only difference is that it has foam instead of air seats

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've had a Fat Cat for a couple years and think it's the best of the "smaller" tubes with out going to a pontoon boat. They pack really easily with the shoulder straps you can get for getting into some of the walk in lakes. The biggest thing as several have mentioned is how high they hold you out of the water. That really makes a difference for how fast you can kick and also how cold you get. I only have from mid calf down in the water. The only thing I didn't care for is the stripping apron which I think is too short. I hate to be stripping in line and find that it's all going behind the apron and down into the water again, wrapping around my legs. I sewed up a new one that seals against my gut better. Also put on a 30" tape on it. What good is one that only goes to 18"?
- Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.