Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be on the beach (Ocean Shores area) over the 4th. While Clousers can be a good option, are there any other flies I should be tying up?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am moving to that area and found a lot of good information on flies etc by doing a thread search with the term "surf" only three pages of threads and a lot of good information.

I am going to try this fly in the future tied up in size two and four in an orange. http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/082701fotw.php I can not see any reason why it wouldn't work and they are easy to tie ( I use a smaller version for pan fish and trout.)

Eric

·
Registered
49 Posts
I do some flyrodding for redtails whenever I'm out at Tofino, and the only fly I use for them anymore is called the Beach Bug. The pattern was from Saltwater Flyfishing Magazine a few years ago. If you can't find the pattern on line, send me a message.

·
Registered
80 Posts
In WA and OR my favorite fly has been a SurfPercher Red in a #4. Other favorite surfperch flies are Calhoun's Swimming Sand Crab, Piconi's Prowler, and the Surfin Merkin. I use these in SoCal when down there and have had luck with them around Cannon Beach area too.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
I just googled "Beach Bug fly" and got the link to it at the top of the list, from the originator. Photo and tying instructions. Looks like a good one! Anything similar ought to be effective.
Marine worm patterns will work, too, I've heard.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just googled "Beach Bug fly" and got the link to it at the top of the list, from the originator. Photo and tying instructions. Looks like a good one! Anything similar ought to be effective.
Marine worm patterns will work, too, I've heard.
Yes--I found that one. I have no shortage of patterns to tie and try.

Thanks for all the input!

Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.