Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Beach 4 last Monday on incoming tide. Lots of smelt, birds and seals--sometimes the seals were working inside of where I was wading.
Caught one small perch. On Wednesday I fished a nice looking bucket at Kalaloch with no fish, birds or seals. Water visibility was only a few inches.

Just learning this fishery so the question is where in the surf are the fish? One gear guy said they are outside the last breaker line. Seems pretty far out. Your thoughts please.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Perch on the fly remain a conundrum for me. I still mainly use bait, and try to cast beyond the breakers, timing my cast to hit just after the last wave of the set breaks, so that I can effectively fish those few seconds of calm between sets. I switched from mono to braid, to eliminate line stretch and better feel the hits. I have had less luck for my efforts, perch fishing this year, even with bait.
Maybe I just haven't hit the lotto, or have fallen out of sync with their behavioral idiosyncrasies. But I have begun to ask, "Could they be getting fished down, or maybe even out?"

How did the surf look, in regards to wave riding, while you were there?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The only time I've caught perch is when I was fishing a small river that flowed into the Pacific. Fishing for salmon. I landed females and when I held them they gave live birth right on the beach...

Released the first momma and then kept the second and third. Very tasty fish.

It was right about this time of year. Sice then I have targeted them and had no luck.

·
Vegetarian Cannibal
131 Posts
Beach 4 is a good spot. The water is deep enough to hold them very close to shore. I have got them on flies both there and at Kalaloch beach. Beach 4 is much better. It is just a matter of luck to find a school in fly range. Don't fish too close to the bait guys, they tend to cast out quite a ways. What happens (at least as far as I have found) is that they hold the fish out at their casting range. The fish stay with the bait and the rest of the school. Figure out the direction of the tide drift and move downhill from the bait guys. You are trying to pick up fish that are munching on bait chunks that are falling off the bait guys hooks. At least that is a start.

Otherwise the key has been to stick and move. It is an exhausting form of flyfishing when done correctly.

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
Jeff, I have done the same thing, fishing spinners for salmon at the confluence of a river into the salt. We ate the couple females we caught, and the babies tasted good too fried up in some hot oil. Like little popcorn perch.

Haven't had any luck with those fish with a fly though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.