Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy!

I'm an avid alaskan fly fisherman looking to pick up a new switch rod. I'm looking at possibly a 7wt for big bow's, dollies, and steelhead. I'm considering the Sage 7110-4 Z-axis, or alternatively (more affordably) the Redington CPX 11374.

Anyone have any experience with either of these rods? I've never done any Spey casting (although it does intrigue me), I'd still probably overhead cast most of the time with the occasional D loop roll cast depending on streambank conditions, boat clutter, etc... should I go down to the 6wt or stay with the 7wt?

my main trout stick currently is a G.Loomis GLX Native Run 7wt.

thanks and tight lines!

·
I'm a teacher, I fish to eat!
785 Posts
The switch rods are awesome! and living in Seward you are close to those big beautiful waters, to use a switch. The switch world has exploded in the last two years, i would also check out Beluah and TFO. They make some really nice mid range switch rods with lifetime warranty. As has been my experience, it is a lot easier to learn to spey cast with a Spey rod, than a switch, but it can be done, I did. Beluah has their own lines matched for rods which makes it nice in trying to pair. Just my opinion.

G

·
Switch rods are like speys in that the number means nothing from company to company...that z axis your looking at is more like a traditional 7wt in that it would throw closer to it's line designation...the z's are sweet rods....Bob Meiser invented the switch 20 some years ago...His rods a stupid good and less money then the sage...I know if you called him he would hook you up and probably come up and fish with you as well...

Don't sweat the little chit..two hand overheading with these rods out past 100' is very doable...Play around and the roll casts, single speys etc. will come...

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I have a couple of sage switch and one orvis switch that run pretty true to line weight (single handed standards). For some applications I prefer to go up one line weight, mainly due to a lack of talent so I can better feel the rod loading. My TFO Deer Creek clearly is spey rated and if you are to use a single handed line (and airflo 40+ is what I've used and enjoyed) I go up two to three line weights, again, going up three was just to aid in feeling the rod load with less line out. I have used a switch rod and two handed overhead casting from the beach for the last year or so and really enjoy how easy it is to get line out and how little my fly is out of the water. As for using mine for two handed spey casting, I have done it and enjoy it but the switch is seemingly less forgiving of bad timing. I really have enjoyed my switch rod fishing. Enjoy yours!

·
Non Member
1,048 Posts
I have the 7110 and I like it a lot. I nymph quite a bit and it serves this purpose very well. I agree with Nate, a true spey rod spey's better but the switch rod will do it too. Just takes some more practice!

·
&(*^$&%
100 Posts
Good input from previous posters. Not much to add other than I have a Z 8110 and I would get very tired casting single hand overhead with this rod. But, with a compact skagit it is a lot of fun to swing on small to medium streams and is an amazing roll caster with the right line. If your intent is to learn two hand casting, it is easier to learn on a rod >= 12-13 ft. I too have really enjoyed fishing the switch rod! Heard good things about the CPX rods but have never tried one. Have fun

·
Washington Native
202 Posts
Don't forget ECHO. They make a very nice switch rod for a very affordable price, no need to spend a ton to get a quality tool. I have a 6wt switch and love it. They have a lifetime guarantee. A buddy of mine broke his brand new spey days after purchasing it and they handed him a new rod after looking at the crack in the finish. My next rod will be a ECHO.

http://www.rajeffsports.com/

·
Blue like Jazz
64 Posts
A second for the ECHO recomendation..Good rods that are low on hype but high on functionality..Have had mine for over a year and it has handled bulls,humpies, and steel-face admirably in overhead and spey casting applications..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info here, fellas.... much to consider...

I'm currently borrowing my buddies Winston B2x switch... its a pretty sweet rod, fo shizzle.

I should probably mention that I'm mostly chuckin' big string leeches and conehead streamers for monster bows... so I'm looking for a rod with appropriate action to handle big, heavy, nasty flies...

furthermore... I'm not really bent on learning Spey casting techniques, just some good rolls and long shooting overhead casts... longer drifts, bigger swings... etc... I figure the Spey style will come out eventually, or never.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.