Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there has been a lot of discussion about the seemingly justified switch rod craze, but I would like to see if anyone has any input on advantages of the various weights.

I am looking to use the rod for long roll casts and high sticking with a big puffy poly indicator. I would like to learn to spey cast but have never tried. I have heard and believe that learning the actual spey casting is easier with the longer rod which makes sense.

I fish for trout mostly and steelhead about four or fives times a year. Would it be better to buy a 11' 6 or 7 weight?

·
Registered
38 Posts
yea.. I'm having the same questions... even fell asleep thinking about it... and golfmans avatar burned into my brain...

fortunately, there's a lot of good information in the archives here... maybe too much.

I've decided I'm going to start with the Redington CPX 6wt switch for now... but I have a strange intuition I'll end up with another switch or Spey rod in a 7wt class sometime in the not so distant future. The 6wt just seems more appropriate for the tight creek waters I tend to fish more in the fall, and like it or not, I usually end up high sticking beads if I want to catch any fish. Though the 7 seems like it would be better suited for those few times I get to travel for monster 'bows, steelhead, and cohos....

hmm... maybe I should go with the 5wt inststead? damn. thought I had this shit all fingered out already...

·
Midwest transplant, but taking root nicely....
73 Posts
If you are a summer steelheader definately a 6 wt will cover you, if winter you will want the 7 wt for that, can you get by with a 6wt definately, you probably already have a rod for steelheading, don't buy a rod and try to make it do it all. Buy your rod for your first passion, you will use it far more for this than a couple days a year and it will be money better spent.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mostly fish for summer fish in the fall. You all are comfirming my suspsion that the 6 wt would be the best. I'll have to start surfing for one. It is interesting how some folks love these things and other hate them (say they can't find a real use for them). To each their own I suppose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.