Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the Snoqualmie finally dropped into shape.

I fished it twice last week but it was still too high for my dryline. This morning, I had a lot of karma going for me - I had toured the Seattle Aquarium and eaten sushi with a good friend last evening. I fished the two lower David Powell holes, The river was still a bit too high to wade into the prime casting spot that covers the lower run so I concentrated on the middle run. But the only grabs I had were the ones I replayed in my mind from last year.

After presenting a revised commercial to my client in Bellevue at 1pm, my car suddenly veered off I-405 and headed east on I-90 to Preston. The sun was shining gloriously and surely, the water had warmed, I reasoned. This time I fished below Fall City and again, as in the morning, I had the river to myself. I fished a Freight Train on a 2.0 heavy, the only concession I'll make to the fact that it's still June. The sun was warm, the water was cold and the La Gloria Cubana tasted good. I just know my fly passed over fish, who, obviously, were not yet curious enough to move up. Tips? They're home, coiled up in zip-lock bags and tucked away in a plastic container until November.

All this begs the question: Who among us will be the first to hook a steelhead with a swung fly on a dryline?

Leland.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I'll give you all a run for your money- not because im a good fisherman but because I fish ALOT..... no cheating or lying}( Who knows maybe we could all hook up and fish at an undisclosed location.
-thomas

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I forgot what I was supposed to remember.

I'd get in on this but with my bad luck at steelheading I would still be trying next year to catch one. Besides I seemed to have misplaced all of my steelhead flies. After setting up my fanny pack in place of a vest I seemed to have lost all of them. And no I don't tie them. Too Many steps.

Steelheader 69 where are those flies,I'm in dire need of them now, I lost all of my others.

Jim:beathead :beathead :bawling

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
La Gloria Cubana? that does sound good. I have one H. Upman from Cuba left, I think I'll fire that puppy up when I land that Deer Creek fish on a YT special(an oversized madam X hybrid that I've been quietly tinking with in hopes it will the one). Been dreaming about this for like 6 months. The Cubana stogie will be my prize when I win this competion. :rofl YT:smokin

Good Luck Gents!:beer2

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Ahhhhhhhh, it's NO HURRY to HURRY now. ;) ;) I have the samples tied up, was waiting for some customers to pay for their fly orders before I dropped them all off. Pain going to the post office. But, I think it'll only cost $1 to send, so I'll toss a couple stamps on it and put it out with tomorrows mail. I only did a small selection, if you want some clearer water/summerrun flies, can tie up a few of those for you and get them out too.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Bob, you win an all expense paid trip to beautiful Chopaka lake. You will be sat in a lawn chair, in one hand you will have a cocktail of your choosing. In the other a bullhorn. you will also have fine stogie hanging from your mouth while you bark orders at the boys filling sand bags. If you require, you can also have Rowdies bullwhip(he really has one) at your side to chastize all slackers. :p :p }( }( YT:smokin

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Hey, YT,
I wasn't going to hit the Hoh until next week, but with a prize like that, I'm leaving in the morning. Will there be any sandwiches? Brunswieger is my preference. And for the cocktail, I'll have a double gin martini and I want the gin to be some of that stuff from India that comes in a blue bottle. Can't remember the name.
Oh, and add a nice pistol to the gear; I just hate slackers.
Bob-a-champ.:smokin

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts

That would be nice. And thanks,and maybe I'll do something for you also a few bucks to cover something. You can't keep giving them away or you would go broke.

Jim:thumb

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Ahhh, No problem

I don't have my side business to make tons of money. I make enough to splurge a bit, and to buy my fly tying supplies at hellacious discounts. Plus, I'm in the positive moneywise, so doesn't count as a "hobby" business. Whooohoooo. LOL. But, it's no problem. But, don't expect me to be sending you a few dozen at a time. ;) :p

·
Registered
113 Posts
I fished the lower NF Stilly last tues and the water was in fair shape for fishing a floating line. I fished a sink -tip and still got nothing, maybe a little high and cold for the floater. Did see one fish roll in one of my favorite lower river pools, of course that fish was tucked in behind a fallen tree. I've tied up several of Leland's "snoqualmie trains" it should bring up some deer creek fish this summer. Can't wait for the Grand Ronde in Oct. I'll try again next week, if I get one in the surface I'll be sure to let you know.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
Ahhh, No problem

Well my lost flies have been found. They fell out of my back pack when I went fishing with mlthead last week. So I will be reunited with them by tomorrow. So If you haven't sent them don't hurry.

Jim

But thank you very much for caring. It makes me feel warm all over to have a friend like you.

Me again:beer2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.