Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
8100XP
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Curious how everyone is attaching leaders or tippet to T-14. It seems overall the most used method is to attach a heavy butt section of says 25 - 40 pound Mono and make a loop of some kind, either perfection or non slip mono. Then you can simply attach your tippet or leader to this. I am curious if you guys are just putting a loop in say the 12 or 15 pound Maxima and looping it on?

Do you find the loops in 12 or 15 pound are strong enough?

·
guide fish don't count
599 Posts
I do the same. 20# chameleon nail knotted to tip (knot sense), perfection loop big enough to fit pre-rigged tubes through (knot sense), 10-12# ultragreen looped on with non-slip mono loop i.e. perfection loops fail more often using lighter tippets.

·
You're only so smart as what you choose to share.
412 Posts
for rio's t14 and other pvc coated tips, i fold it back on itself, creating a loop about 1/2'' and tie back to back nail knots with 8lb maxima. then i heat up the loop and pinch the end so its more streamline. i do this on both ends, and have yet to have a loop break on both fish and snags.

for airflo (polyurethane) tips, i just weld loops on both ends. same track record. i also make sure to switch out my tippet every time. learned that lesson the hard way...

i hate perfection loops for anything less than 20lb. ill use a double surgeons loop of either10lb max for small flies or 15lb cx premium pline for the big bugs to connect to the tip.

·
Driven by irrational exuberance.
1,656 Posts
25 lb maxima blood knotted on, and then looped, and then run my tippet (typically 4' of 10-15lbs maxima).
Maxima blood knotted to the T14? I thought there was a core in the t-14 that I looped after I stripped, and mated with a 12 lb. Maxima loop. Or am I thinking about the Air-Flo custom tip material?

·
Fly Fishing guide "The Bogy House" Lodge
383 Posts
Well it depends....at the begining of the season all my tips have loops on both ends,,, I use a lot of regular level sink line and the loops can be made from stripping the Mono core,,, folding back,, nail notting core to tip two inches up then another nail knot with 15 or so to size the loop for use.
Then a simple loop to loop to the sink tip with 20 or so then blood or tripple surgion 15 the rest to fly or drop again to 12 if needed for conditions.

When needed I rebuild or nail not direct to a folded back tip depends on time left in day. Both work well but I trust the first style for more days of fishing than the latter.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Sink tip with loops on both ends. Loops nailnotted with 8# and glued. Sometimes I cover with shrink wrap. I tie the leader with 18 inches of 20# fluro with a loop to attach to the tip,and blood knotted this to18 inches of 15# fluro. If on the river, I use a triple surgeons instead of bloodknot.

Looks like a lot of us have learned the hard way not to use the perfection loop on 10 and 12# line.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
T-14 is built on a 35 lb mono core. Strip the coating off the last couple of inches and use whatever knot you prefer to tie mono to mono. I tend to favor either an Albright or blood knot. About 2 or 3 ft of 25 lb butt section, pefection loop to loop the tippet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.