Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Would you be more productive...

• 1. Fishing runs you like twice, each time with a different fly.

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • 2. Leave your confidence fly on all day and fish more runs, but only once.

Votes: 23 71.9%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very interesting votes. Cool. I ended up fishing many runs, and each only once. Fished 1 fly half the day, 1 fly the othe half. Let's just say I don't have a confidence fly anymore. I'm way overdue for a steelie. Sigh.

·
Have you swung a fly today?-
480 Posts
Very interesting votes. Cool. I ended up fishing many runs, and each only once. Fished 1 fly half the day, 1 fly the othe half. Let's just say I don't have a confidence fly anymore. I'm way overdue for a steelie. Sigh.
fished one fly all day two fish none to hand one was a biggie which snapped 10 lbs maxima like butter

·
Registered
766 Posts
Summer - I would be on the move - fishing with a fly that suits the conditions - shade/sun - because of temps the fish are more likely to move to a well presented fly

Winter - I would fish a run or two I think would hold fish and fish it would two different patterns - because of temps fish are less likely to move to a well presented fly. They may follow it and an angler would have no idea they did -

So winter I fish good holding water and summer I hope the fish come to me - more runs, different holding areas. So faster ripple water is a good summer choice

·
CCA, Hatchery Wild Coexist
1,540 Posts
a few things to consider: when guides take clients out on the river they most often side drift/boondog a run ( good run) several times even using bait. so i do like wise. fish that good run at least 2-3 times through, or more even in summer. have seen way to many times where a fish wont bite on the 1st time through. fish move a fair bit during the day.

·
Registered
771 Posts
If it's a good piece of water that I know holds fish, I will run through it multiple times. I usually switch techniques on subsequent passes. Preferred technique first (skater or swung fly), then I get dirtier on each pass, ending most likely with a pink worm.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Near tide water winter or summer fish same run twice if I hook up first pass or conditions feel fishy
Depends how good ur fish radar is also if long run and u know buckets defiantly make second bucket or buckets pass

Usually have multiple confidence Flies on given river might change fly 2 or more times down run depending of hydraulics and how deep it is in parts of run
Don't like to change tips rather change fly or angle of my cast to suit conditions of particular portion of run
Some river like north Umpqua use confidence dry fly leave it on will change only if I have player that won't come back
Always move fast thru run rather fish same run twice fast then make multiple casts same spot or step slow
Only time I slow way down is in bucket if tons of fish are around or water way dirty

In summer high in system leave a team fly on move fast thru run looking for players don't like to force feed
More runs u fish systematic turn fly over every time a day the more u catch in summer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.