Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to think ahead of the rest of this site and be prepared for what will obviously follow once I put the patches on my vest.
I'm going to mount one, the WFF patch, on my dog, Smolt's pocket, and the other, TEAM RUGGED, on the pocket with Oleander, my pet parrot, inside.
But, here's the big question: what will one say if one should be asked, "Say, what did you do to earn this TEAM RUGGED patch?
One should be prepared for a quick answer.
Maybe others who read this can think of better answers but here are a few I've been thinking about:
1. Well, you had to go through an inniation which in this case was that you had to swim across Lake Chopaka in the dark, towing a long line with a big bunny leech on it. No fish caught, no patch. Mine weighed two pounds.
2. I had to hang from a huge rock, high up over this Washington river, using my teeth to hold on to a six weight line for one hour. Then I got this patch. But if you let go, you were immediately swept into a terrible rapid. Oh, I forgot to tell you, they tied your hands behind your back.
3. You had to stand necked on I-5 for at least 15 minutes, using only the patch to hide your valuables..
4. They held my head under water until I went limp; then they revived me and gave me the patch.
5. I had to keep up with a hike that followed the Pacific Rim from OR. to B.C., eating only fish that we caught along the way, plus herbs and berries, etc.
6. You had to demonstrate that you could kill a fish by biting him hard just in back of the head. I have seen this done several times. The fish dies instantly and the biter spits out a lot of scales. Very impressive sight.
7. I had to drink a bunch of beer while freezing my jalapenos off in the middle of the night in this stinking, dusty, hell hole which only the most rugged can reach..
8. I had to swim across the Columbia at the Hanford Reach on Jan.15th.
9. Well, I got it by sending in $3.00 dollars to this dude and he mailed the patch back to me.
10.I can't think of how I got it. They just popped up on me.
Boblawless.:thumb

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Bob, that's priceless. Had me in stitches!! You get a patch for sure. ya know, this whole team rugged thing is quite amusing to say the least. I made it up in an attempt to get a few laughs from those that read my posts. Team rugged is just a group of guys that love trout fishing. We all just met on this site, went fishing together, and the rest is history. So, if you get together with some people from this website and have a fun fishing adventure, then you are on a team rugged trip. have fun boys!:smokin YT too funny Boblawless!

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
First of all, Bob, (as Mac would say) Stop! Your killing me!!! I love reading your posts, in this (thankless, boring, life draining) job of mine, humor is a prized commodity.
Second, ******, you unwittingly coined this phrase that so well describes how many of us see this sport of flyfishing. We love wild, remote, rugged places that take us to a simpler time when all that mattered was nature herself. We leave the hustle and bustle behind and seek to connect with the Tao of life, to feel the Qi flowing through every cell in our bodies. It imparts in us an energy that is truly rugged and we return refreshed and alive. Even if we don't catch a single fish...

Roper,

Truth above all else

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
You mean to tell me I didnt have to tow that fishing line across I-5 necked on Jan 15th while being blindfolded by a silly patch over my eyes, in hopes that I would snag some sort of SUV with the four foot long bunny leech tied by one of the founders of the team??? You guys are ruthless...:7

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Rods done...im affraid to cast it though cause its sooo "pretty" and I dont want to mark it up before I give it to the father-in-law. My luck it will snap on the first cast x( and I will feel soooo bad. I will post a pic later today or tommorow for the scrutiny of the experts here :thumb

~Patrick ><>

·
Registered
416 Posts
That would be kind of long motto, with all that existential metaphysical, Emersonian-type talk, and all.
Matter of fact all this contemplation has got me seeing tracers.

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.