1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
500 Posts
For those of you who remember Freestone's thread about the mini mini tenkara rod (mini-sawtooth), here is a deal of the day for significant savings. Other models available as well. For those of you not familiar with Touch of Modern, its sort of like groupon for hipsters. All sales final, ship in 2-3 weeks.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales...-rod-co-5acd76df-2941-46aa-870b-f3a274b33d1a#
How do these rods compare to some of the other companies out there? Orvis, various brands on amazon etc..

·
Registered
500 Posts
For those of you who remember Freestone's thread about the mini mini tenkara rod (mini-sawtooth), here is a deal of the day for significant savings. Other models available as well. For those of you not familiar with Touch of Modern, its sort of like groupon for hipsters. All sales final, ship in 2-3 weeks.

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales...-rod-co-5acd76df-2941-46aa-870b-f3a274b33d1a#
How do these rods compare to some of the other companies out there? Orvis, various brands on amazon etc..

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,371 Posts
Here is the original thread:

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/ultra-ultralight-tenkara.114301/

@Freestone with a season behind you, whats the verdict on the mini Sawtooth Tenkara rod?

jay
Jay, I like it but it is definitely a small water rod, very small water. But, it makes small fish feel really big. I love how small it packs up; between holes, I can stick it in my pocket so it is perfect for bushwacking on small creeks. It's a fun little rod!

But for bigger creeks, I prefer my Iwana for the extra length/coverage and ability to handle bigger fish in heavier current.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Jay, I like it but it is definitely a small water rod, very small water. But, it makes small fish feel really big. I love how small it packs up; between holes, I can stick it in my pocket so it is perfect for bushwacking on small creeks. It's a fun little rod!

But for bigger creeks, I prefer my Iwana for the extra length/coverage and ability to handle bigger fish in heavier current.
thanks.

I am thinking about a High Sierra hiking trip next fall along the PCT/John Muir Trail. Gear will be schlepped from camp to camp by a packer, while the rest of us hike.

On some sections, there will be miles along "rivers" or creeks. Mini Tenkara would likely feasible as stream fish will most likely be small, and the option of quick set up and collapse of the rod seems like it could enable more fishing interruptions to the hiking.

(Someone I corresponded with said he takes a 3 wt into the High Sierra and never felt it was not enough).

On the other hand, I have a fiberglass Cabelas CGR 4 wt I was also thinking about, on the grounds that it too will bend well for small fish, and the fiberglass is less likely to get broken.

In my current planning, I would still have a graphite rod along (packed during the day) for lake fishing around camps and layover days --- this graphite rod might be a 4wt (RX6) I built that can be switched between fly and spin fishing (two butt sections).

My own calibration of "small water" here in washington would be the Ohanepekosh, where those little cutthroats will shake off the hook if the line is attached to the 4wt rX6 graphite, but a 3 wt CGR fiberglass is responsive enough to hold them on the hook.

Jay

·
Registered
500 Posts
Ok, against my better judgement, I ordered the Tenkara mini when I read this around Christmas. I took it out of the tube and am pretty disappointed by the cheap feel of it - I telescoped it out gently and the handle came off. The butt cap on the handle is so loose that it falls off with hardly any pressure and then the whole shooting match slides out the bottom of the handle in pieces.

I bought a couple of telescoping cane pole rods from China on EBay just to see what they'd be like at the same time as I bought the Tenkara. They were less than 8 bucks (including shipping) and the quality is light years better.
Ugh.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
It bothers me a bit to see Tenkara bashing in general, and more so when it's getting a bad rap because people use the wrong gear or just buy plain poor quality crap. I've now done a fair amount of Tenkara fishing, and while it definitely has some limitations, they're less than you might expect.

There are two places I'm most likely to use it. For high lake fishing, I appreciate having a complete outfit weighing in at 8.5 oz. (and I could easily get it lower) with the ability to delicately present flies quickly to cruising trout. On modest sized streams, up to say- South Fork Snoqualmie or Cedar River, it works like a charm. I've also had some very productive days on the Yak, fishing a telescoping 13'6" - 14'9" rod exclusively.

While there will obviously be lots of water that you can't cover with that rod, it encourages you to focus on the the those fishy spots that aren't way the heck out there. I grew up with the mistaken notion that long casts = effective fishing, and now the more I learn, the more short casts and precise line control prove to be the way to go. It's quite similar to the competition fly fisher approach, and if nothing else, it's upped my conventional fishing game.

While the micro rods are cute, and would be excellent for those little Sierra streams (Sign me up!), for bigger water it's generally advantageous to use the longest rod/shortest line combination that you can get away with. You can steer a weighted nymph or small dry through mixed up pocket water extremely well with a 14' rod and 12' line, and it's very, very effective. By far the best source I've found for all things Tenkara, both information and a wealth of specialized gear, is http://www.tenkarabum.com/

·
Registered
500 Posts
It bothers me a bit to see Tenkara bashing in general, and more so when it's getting a bad rap because people use the wrong gear or just buy plain poor quality crap. I've now done a fair amount of Tenkara fishing, and while it definitely has some limitations, they're less than you might expect.

There are two places I'm most likely to use it. For high lake fishing, I appreciate having a complete outfit weighing in at 8.5 oz. (and I could easily get it lower) with the ability to delicately present flies quickly to cruising trout. On modest sized streams, up to say- South Fork Snoqualmie or Cedar River, it works like a charm. I've also had some very productive days on the Yak, fishing a telescoping 13'6" - 14'9" rod exclusively.

While there will obviously be lots of water that you can't cover with that rod, it encourages you to focus on the the those fishy spots that aren't way the heck out there. I grew up with the mistaken notion that long casts = effective fishing, and now the more I learn, the more short casts and precise line control prove to be the way to go. It's quite similar to the competition fly fisher approach, and if nothing else, it's upped my conventional fishing game.

While the micro rods are cute, and would be excellent for those little Sierra streams (Sign me up!), for bigger water it's generally advantageous to use the longest rod/shortest line combination that you can get away with. You can steer a weighted nymph or small dry through mixed up pocket water extremely well with a 14' rod and 12' line, and it's very, very effective. By far the best source I've found for all things Tenkara, both information and a wealth of specialized gear, is http://www.tenkarabum.com/
Not Tenkara bashing. Just disappointed with the quality of the Tenkara USA rod based on what I paid for it. IMO a fish should not be able to pull a rod out of its handle when hooked and a rod should not slide out the bottom of the handle when carrying it because the butt cap is so loose.

It is bad form on my part to not contact customer service first - just was surprised and vented on a forum. Peace.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Not Tenkara bashing. Just disappointed with the quality of the Tenkara USA rod based on what I paid for it. IMO a fish should not be able to pull a rod out of its handle when hooked and a rod should not slide out the bottom of the handle when carrying it because the butt cap is so loose.

It is bad form on my part to not contact customer service first - just was surprised and vented on a forum. Peace.
Sorry, it might have seemed like I was picking on you in particular, which wasn't my intention. More just an opportunity for a pr0-tenkara rant of my own.

I'm really surprised that your Tenkara USA rod has an apparent quality issue; they're generally very good. Their customer service is also excellent, I've dealt with them in the past. Contact customer service and I'm sure you will be well taken care of.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Sorry, it might have seemed like I was picking on you in particular, which wasn't my intention. More just an opportunity for a pr0-tenkara rant of my own.

I'm really surprised that your Tenkara USA rod has an apparent quality issue; they're generally very good. Their customer service is also excellent, I've dealt with them in the past. Contact customer service and I'm sure you will be well taken care of.
I got the same rod and the quality seems great, I have another rod from tenkara USA and it also is of great quality. It's unfortunate that they would ship a dud and I would expect better quality control but they certainly are capable of shipping quality products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I bought the mini teton based on this deal and I plan to try it Monday for the first time. I opened it last week when I didn't have much time to really read through the instructions, etc. I was initially concerned about the rod coming out of the handle to, only to realize that it was another case to hold the rod inside the aluminum tube with the screw cap. A couple of segments came off in the wrong direction, but I chalk that up to operator error. Looks like there's a bit of a learning curve with this new style of fly fishing and it start with the unpackaging of the rod.:p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.