Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Yoosta git a bunch em them there crappies on da long cane pol!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got 4 Daiwa Tenkara rods from Japan. Have been fishing lakes mostly - very difficult since they're made primarily for small stream fishing. Would be possible in a float tube though I suppose.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
This shit isn't new. There used to be a rod out there called a noodle rod. Very long and used with 4 or 2 lb test line. Some of those noodle rods were 12 to 14 feet long. I think that they were made by Browning. I know as I had one. And about as strong as a noodle can get.

·
Registered
184 Posts
how is a super long fly rod best for small streams?
The length of the rod allows you to reach across the stream to access water that would be otherwise out of reach for say a 7' rod that you ideally need to load up and with brush around you that is never very fun. In tight situations you will be doing a lot of side-arm casting. Heres the website for Tenkara USA, best place to answer your questions: http://www.tenkarausa.com/

·
Angler, Gastronomist, Artist, Jarhead, Geek
376 Posts
I have one and they are a blast to fish with. It takes a bit of learning to figure out how to land a fish without a reel, but after the 3rd fish its pretty intuitive.
The reach on the rod makes it very easy to mend and drift follow your fly almost like Czech nymphing with a dry fly.

-Lex

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Cannot think of a good use for one of these things. You can carry a small fly rod with minimal weight gain and a ton more functionality.

If you're really freaking out about saving weight - just bring a couple flies, some line, and find a branch. Or - if you want to get all crazy - bring some duct tape and use a tent pole. CRAZY!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll buy one this summer and try it out on some small streams for searuns. I've always fished with minimum amount of stuff, just the rod and reel, one flywallet or a box of flies, a spare leader and some tippet. Saw some of the tenkara style of flies in a magazine a while ago, simple little flies, some can be fished dry, skated or then fished wet. Need to buy a new rod anyway.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just got back from the Tenkara site. Pretty slick videos on casting and fishing. Thought of about a dozen of tight spots where this would work. So simple I'll probably won't even wear clothes any more when fishing in the summer,well maybe a loincloth so I don't sunburn the warhammer

·
Banned
5,200 Posts
just got back from the Tenkara site. Pretty slick videos on casting and fishing. Thought of about a dozen of tight spots where this would work. So simple I'll probably won't even wear clothes any more when fishing in the summer,well maybe a loincloth so I don't sunburn the warhammer
i assumed u enjoyed burning the ole warhammer, with ur user name and all.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
It would be really cool if the entire rod telescoped!
What a good tool - fish any length from 3 to 12 feet, no reel, and some of those special Tenkara flies.
One of you guys could make some bingo on this. Just remember where you got the idea.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I always thought that when one is fly fishing. It was the fight with the fish that made the day. Getting the fish one the reel was the way to go. With that Japanese way of fishing there is no fight in it. Just hook the fish and bring it in.

It's like fishing with a willow stick and a piece of string. I did that when I was a kid. As I got older I switched over to a rod and reel so I could play with what I catch.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I always thought that when one is fly fishing. It was the fight with the fish that made the day. Getting the fish one the reel was the way to go. With that Japanese way of fishing there is no fight in it. Just hook the fish and bring it in.

It's like fishing with a willow stick and a piece of string. I did that when I was a kid. As I got older I switched over to a rod and reel so I could play with what I catch.
I dont think anyone is saying to give up "Western" fly fishing, and only use Tenkara. Its more of a way to switch it up when you go to those small streams in the summertime. Most of the fundamentals remain the same and especially presentation.

·
Senior Moment
5,472 Posts
I got interested in these a few months ago after reading an article by Yvon Chouinard. I visited the web site and considered the product line. Looks like a pretty cool rod to me and I still may get one sometime. I have a great classic small stream rod and I enjoy time in those "confined spaces" a lot. Dapping with a tenkara looks like fun to me. Great presentation "high sticking" the fly through the boulders, simpler and fewer snagged trees. Iwannatryit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.