Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Testing my pic posting abilities. Fished a nearby lake last week and got into some footballs. These fish had more leeches in them than I have ever seen. All nice fish, 17-19 inch obese trout. I pumped one of these fish that had 2 4+ inch leeches in it's throat! It kind of creeped me out. I should have snapped some pictures of the leeches, but I was busy screaming like a little girl as one of these leeches was slithering across my lap.:thumb:

Jarron

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
Nice fishing J. Makes you think twice about swimming in our lakes! "Something just tickled my nuts!"

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I didn't want to sound like a wuss and I have seen smaller leeches in throat samples, but these suckers were huge! Very close to the same diameter of my pump, I'm suprised they even got sucked up!

·
It's all about the sauce.....
551 Posts
I didn't want to sound like a wuss and I have seen smaller leeches in throat samples, but these suckers were huge! Very close to the same diameter of my pump, I'm suprised they even got sucked up!
Leeches are pretty resilient [hence the fluid movement]. It also takes them time to hook onto you, but you have to be in some stagnant crap for them to really consider it otherwise I think they eat mostly invertebrates, nymphs and other small bugs. Just think tho, if you cut your finger off you can slap on a leech to the finger to prevent the fluids from drying up so it can be reattached and heal faster!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.