Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Looking for a bit of help - A friend asked me to help him find his 1st two hander. His price range is under $400. (I believe) He needs a small skagit rod - he will be fishing the small rivers of SW Wa, the biggest river he'll fish is the sandy. Am am thinking a 7 or 8 between 12 and 13 feet. Anyone swing the TFO 12.6 8 or the 13.3 8? 13.3 is on the long side.

If anyone has any input or additional suggestions it would be appreciated. Also, he needs to use a Bauer M4sl, which I believe may be stretching it on the 8 wt with a skagit.

Thanks for the help! RL

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I would recommend a 13' 7wt rod for both SWW rivers and the Sandy just because a rod greater then 13' is too much for rivers like the Kalama and Washougal. I generally fish a rod greater then 13' on the Sandy but can cover almost the same amount of water with a 12-13' rod. Regardless, the most important thing is to get a rod in your friends hands that is matched up well and have him learn how to cast. Rod length and weight are not as important as river time with a matched setup.

Personally I fish a 10'10'" switch or 12'6" 6 or 7 weight in the summer months and 7 or 8 weight 13-13'6" in the rivers your friend fishes in the winter. I can't help you with TFO.

·
Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!
263 Posts
The TFO Deer Creek 7130 is a sweet stick in that price range. Great dry line rod as well as an excellent skagit rod for throwing tips and bigger fly's. Great all around rod. Great warranty etc

I have a buddy that has a DC 7130 and he also has a MKS 13'6 789. He fishes the DC quite a bit and says it fishes similar to the Meiser. I believe the DC blank is patterned after a Meiser taper blank so that makes sense.

If you could only have one rod in that price range it(the DC) is a great choice and can easily work both winter and summer. The rod can pretty much handle any fish in the ditch,6-9 lb summers to 8-15+ lb winters.

However,there is no comparison to actually casting some rods for yourself and getting something that fits you.

Mark

·
the flavor of BADFISH
536 Posts
just my two cents on my experience... I went through a couple TFO deer creek rods because the cork just started crumbling after only a few outings. maybe i got a couple duds, but from now on if Im getting anything with the TFO name on it im looking the grips over with a fine tooth comb for large spots filled with cork putty.
I know it doesnt affect the casting abilities of these sticks, but its just one of those things that bug the hell out of me. I wouldn't buy a brand new car with bondo on it and from now on the same goes for my fishing poles. it seems like you can only get a season or two out of a stick before the putty falls out anyway so you might as well get one with few pits in the cork.
if you can look through a bunch of them you might find that some have wayyyyy more putty than others, and its worth it because these are great rods.
if your a superficial bastard like me you might want to look into echo, those are great rods as well, and the finish seems to be a better quality overall. or build your own.

rant over, gonna find some cheese to go with my whine. good luck.

·
Formerly Tyinbugs
243 Posts
might wanna check out echo's snakegrass switch rods...$329.99 and an all around good stick...they only come in 10'10" in 6, 7, and 8wts, but cast really well with lighter compact skagits and scandis...he might also want to check out an echo TR 7130 which is an all around sick spey rod

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I have relayed the info and hopefully he will make a good educated decision. I fish the K with a 10'6" switch and I think it is perfect, but he has a 10' 7w single that he likes over there, and the switch will be a little light for when I drag him over to the Sandy, hence the question on the shorter two hand skagit rods.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.