Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a new TFO Deer Creek 12' 6" 5/6 that I'm shopping and reviewing the recommendations for shooting heads for it.

Which Vision Ace Short Scandi?
6/7 355gr., 32.8', cut back to 31' and approx. 340gr.
7/8 401gr., 33.1', cut back to 31' and approx. 380gr.

Which Airflo Compact Skagit?
420gr., 23'
450gr.,23'

Scandi. recommendations I've read:
Rio - 4/5 AFS 300gr.
Kiene - Airflo Compact Scandi. 360gr.
Fly Fish Usa - 350gr. - 400gr.
soundflycaster - 400gr.

Skagit recommendations I've read:
Rio - Flight 400gr.
Kiene - Airflo Compact 420gr.
Fly Fish Usa - 400gr. - 450gr.
soundflycaster - 450gr.

I'm leaning towards the Vision Ace Short Scandi. 6/7 355gr. and the Airflo Compact Skagit 420gr. Or do you think I should go up to the two heavier shooting heads?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Attached are the recommendations from Mike Kinney for the DC rods. He provides some specific lines but more as an example for weight and head length. Having fished the DC rods since they first came out I have found Mikes guidelines to be a great starting point.

Thom (AKA soundflycaster)

·
"junkyard spey"
517 Posts
The line recommendations above are about as close as you're going to get without trying the different sizes and seeing which weight feels the best for "you".

Past that if your going with the Vision head you will most likely be buying that from the Hazels @ Deschutes Angler. I would tell them the rod you have and ask them to cut the head for it. They are very good at this and everyone I've talked with about getting a cut Vision head from them has been happy.

For the skagit I would pick the heavier recommendations from those you've listed above which would be 450.

·
nymphing beads with a spey pole.
267 Posts
I got the 420 compact skagit and 10' of T-8. It sails,but I'd liketo try the 450 sometime to see the difference. The rod is rediculous your gonna love it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I received a message from Mike Kinney and he recommended and reaffirmed my thinking, for the two lighter Scandi./Skagit heads. The Vision Ace 6/7 355gr. and the Airflo Compact Skagit 420gr. Thanks for all the recommendations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.