Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyboudy out there have a TFO TiCrx 7 weight using the 2 handed conversion and a line recomendatoin that they are satisfied with and would kindly recommend. As I understand it there are 2 general possibilities. 1: OverhHead and 2: Short Skagit.

If you have a recomendation, please mention the brand, line name, line weight and type of casting you are using.

My first attempt with $130 worth of line appears to have missed and I'd rather not make a mistake again.

Thanks.

Anyfish2198

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
I know this topic has been brought up before here. First I would recommend using the search function and seeing what folks have said specifically about using the 7wt with the conversion kit. I have the 8wt Ticrx and use the switch conversion and love it. I use a Airflo compact 510 skagit and it will toss T-17 and weighted bunnies just fine. If your casting stroke is a little slower a 540 compact will do the trick. I haven't done much overhead casting with it, but I know many have.

Try the search and enjoy the wealth of info here.

Cheers!

Matthew

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I have an 8wt TiCrX with the conversion kit. Single handing I use Airflo 40+ in 9 floating and intermediate. For two handed overhead casting I use the 9wt Airflo 40+ but the Airflo coldwater striper 10F is what I really like. For spey type casting I use an Airflo compact skagit 540 and like it. I have used a Rio AFS 8/9 and it worked well too. Again, this is a TiCr-X 8wt with the conversion kit. As a switch rod my other switch rods are better tools but this one brings a nice versitility to my collection. Two handed overhead casting can really put out a bunch of line with this baby and it handles chum like crazy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the notes Mathew and Mumbles.

I tried lining my 7 wt with a Rio Skagit 475 with a 20' head and 8 wt tips (15') of floater, intermediate or t-14. The rod felt like a ton of bricks.

I must admit, I am new to the 2 handed rods, and it is pretty hard to find much working knowledge in Colorado, so it could easily be my poor technique. Watching DVD's and you tube is not the best way to learn before trying at the river. I just missed what mnight have been the only river workshop a few weeks ago. Time to retire, work is getting in the way......

I have searched the posts, and did notice there were several, but I guess I missed the line recomendations. Sorry Matthew.

Mumbles, your Airflow 540 on the 8 wt sounds similar to my RIO Skagit 475 on the 7 wt, wich kinda points me back to my poor technique. If you concur, thats good to know. Might be my tip are to long and adding to the very heavy feel. Possibly I might shoirten the 475 head a bit as an alternative?

I have been able to overhead an older 7wy Rio Steelhead/Salmon line that I think was designed for roll casting.

I was kinda hoping to use the 2 handed rod for Silvers in Alaska late summer as the shoulder is not what it used to be.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Anyfish, I'll admit to not being an expert at anything but I'm willing to try anything. I got the TiCR-X specifically for chum and figured why not get the conversion kit just to expand to some two handed overhead casting options. On my other switch rods and spey rods, both of which styles are new to me, I know that I tend to need more grain weight to feel the rod load. The TiCr-X is stiff, wicked stiff, and I got the 8wt because I wanted a 9wt for Chum and most told me the 8wt would feel like a 9. I've never tried any two handed casts with a head as light as 475grains. I would imagine my cold water striper line at 10wt is somewhere just under 450, but I'm not using it for two handed spey casting. I use it for a two handed overhead cast from wide banks and the beach. I have tossed poly leaders with my compact skagit 540 which pushes the total weight up a bit more. Honestly, with my lack of talent and this rod's stiffness I could probably even go up to a 570 and like it. I have not tossed long tips with this setup as I've only fished it in the estuary and from the beach. Best of luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again for the conversations.

I contacted a fly shop out in Washington who was very helpful as well.

They believe my problem to be the tip lengths , not the 475 grn Skagit line.

I roughly estimrte my tips are about 18', altho' they should be 15' per mfg specs.

Reds Fly Shop is recomending the tips should be 3+ feet shorter than the 15' mfg specs on this 11' 3" rod. With my newbie skill level, I have great difficulty in getting the line off the water. Failed cast.

So, if you check in again on this post, please let me know what tip lengths you ar running with your TiCRx conversions.

Thanks

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
Anyfish, as a usual rule of thumb for me, I find that tip lengths that are shorter than the rod lengths will cast MUCH better than tips longer than the rod length. Try shortening up the tip length to 11' and see what happens. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I find I can fish most situations with 11 feet of sinking tip if I'm using weighted flies. If I want more sink tip I fish the longer rods. You certainly can fish longer tip lengths, but your timing will need to be better. I'm guessing it will help you a bunch to shorten things up a bit.

Cheers,

Matthew

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts
I contacted the TFO factory directly when the conversions first came out,since I was working for a TFO dealer at the time. They told me to consider the set up to be a two handed overhead casting rod, and that I'd be frustrated by tying to make it do anything else. Their recommended line at the time was a RIO 10 wt Outbound for the 8wt, which I believe to be 425 grains. It works well for overhead casting but I look like a monkey romancing a football when I mess with spey lines. guys may have come up with better solutions in the last couple of years, but I got a bona fide switch rod, and it's much more rewarding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finally put the 7 wt conversion rod to use. Silvers in SW Alaska. Goodnews River, early September.

The Rio line (Skagit 475) worked out great with 10' MOW tips attached. Tried the T-11, the half/half, and the floater. Tried my buddies spey line, but as most have mentioned, this rod is not a spey rod. I could not make it work as a spey. Maybe I shuolda added the MOW tips?

Casting style was rough, but , man can this thing shoot line 2 handed overhead. Generally, I stripped it in until the indicator (blue line) secton was in the rod. Did a simple roll cast to bring the sink tip to the surface, forcfully ripped it to the back and then 1 swift forward using a 2 handed cast. 60' easy into the wind, 70-80' calm, and 90-100+ with a tail wind. (Could probably cast further, but I was kinda running out of river.

My other rod is the tfo 7 wt 10' professional. With the 2 hander, easy to get 20-30' more in 1 cast. No need for multiple double hauls to get it out there. My right shoulder loves this 2 handed rod. I used to double hault a weighted bunny, to the other side of a pool, but my shoulder blew up 3 years ago on the Kanektoc.

Did I need the distance? Silvers? not unless I was working a large slough. Or, by buddies parked on the current line and I needed to fire downstream, over a pool to deep to wade. Fishing the tail of a pool that the buddies put down at the top was always good for 1-3 more fish. Who knew!

Fighting fish? 11.25' gives the bucks a bit more leverage. The bigger boys were a handful. 8 weight might be better, but what a hoot.

Recomend the setup.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This setup below is good for 100 ft overhead casts with my 7wt TFO rod converted to a 11' 3" two-hander.

Shooting Head: WF10F Rio Outbound Short
Running Line: 80# waxed TufLineXP Indicator Braid

This rod may not be best for Spey type casting but it will nicely lay out 70 ft of line with an old fashioned roll cast using 55 ft of a DT9F Cortland 444 line (same running line as above)

Try putting a heavy coat of beeswax on 65# or 80# Dacron or Spectra braid. Strip off the excess wax
wearing a heavy duty mechanic's elastic glove. Squeeze the braid hard and run your hand back and
forth rapidly to generate some heat that will help the wax penetrate and distribute evenly. Polish the
waxed braid well and treat it with your favorite fly line dressing. This gives you a running line that
will not coil, is tangle resistant and lets the shooting head carry it into the next county.

·
Registered
555 Posts
For any rod around 11' in length you will want a tip of no more than 12'. I wouldn't worry about the taper, just cut one of your tips back to 12' and see how it casts.

EDIT: just realized I got sucked into a necro thread. FML

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.