Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First I want to thank all who responded to my post about a month ago regarding my trip to the Seattle area. My family and I had a great time traveling about the Olympic pennisula, stayed at Sol Duc (among other places), really enjoyed the Olympic National park, did some fishing - even caught some small ones on the Sol Duc, and generally had a very good vacation. The advice and comments I got from this forum made for a better trip.
Now to the question:
I was fishing the Sol Duc one evening and the biggest stone flies I have ever seen began to come back to the water. The fish really turned on - the entire pool seemed to take interest - and every fish in the pool was looking up, and taking anything on top. I did not have anything that closely resembled the "bombers" that were coming back to the water, but, fortunately it didn't seem to matter. Anything that I threw out was immediately attacked by a fish - generally small fish -cutts (I think) and bows - but the size or the pattern made no difference. It was almost like the stoneflies triggered the entire pool into being amenable to taking anything on top. This lasted a good hour and the fish were still slashing when I left due to darkness. I ended up catching and releasing 14 fish.
The fly was a dark tan/brown - size 6 (at least) and although I have never seen one (in PA, we don't have stoneflies this big), my first thought was Salmonfly! Do they come this late in the season in Washington? The date was August 16.There were alot of the flies coming back onto the water, doing their dipping/fluttering/egglaying thing; causing a big disturbance on the water and driving the fish nuts.
Sure made an impression on me!!
Really impressed with the state, the park, the people, the scenery. I look forward to coming back soon for another visit.

David B. (now back in PA) :BIGSMILE

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Looks like to me they could be Giant October Caddis in August! Those things look like moths or humming birds! On the Cowlitz in Sept. they are out and about everywhere! The cutthrouts there love them. Use stimulators brown or yellow #10-4 awesome surface action!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.