Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the boy to Pine Lake on Sunday, per advice from you guys. The pop gear maestros were tearing it up, limits all around. I didn't fish very hard, as I was working on getting the boy a fish. I did land a fat little triploid about 12", not a bad fighter, on an olive woolly bugger.

The big news though is the boy got his first trout, an 11" rainbow, with bait under a bobber. That's how I got my first, and I think it's a perfectly good way for anyone to start. So did he. I've rarely seen him as excited or happy. The trophy now sits frozen solid (uncleaned) in our freezer, where she can be taken out and admired, or presented for inspection to first-grade colleagues.

Thanks a heap for the tip, and we'll be checking out your other suggestions in the weekends to come. :thumb

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Congrats. That's how most kids start, including me and mine. Unfortunately, since my kids have tasted success using bait, it is next to impossible to get them to give it up and try flyfishing. I have to practically threaten my oldest daughter just to tie a lure on the end of her line, instead of smelly power bait or salmon eggs. The youngest won't even try a lure. This year I think I will try to get them to at least try a woolly bugger with a casting bubble chucked with their little Zebco outfits. Since that fly catches anything that moves, I'm hoping it will help to eventually move them over to the good side. Baby steps. . .

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's funny, because my boy is just the opposite. I had to force him to use the bait because I wanted him to get a fish. He's not the most patient lad in the world, and he likes the casting and retrieving better than the bobber-watching (a chip off the old block I guess; I can never catch fish with the chironomid soak because I'm good for staring at the bobber for about 25 seconds). That's great I guess, but I didn't want him to get frustrated about not getting fish, and the spinners just weren't cutting it.

Now of course he says that he likes the bait, but we'll see how it goes the next time if it takes more than a couple minutes for the bobber to go down.

If you have a boat, try taking them to rattlesnake (where they can't use bait and it won't be your fault) and troll a WB around. I almost got the boy his first fish last year that way, a nice big triploid that broke him off after jumping a few times. If you don't have a boat, maybe we can do a father-kids thing. I don't know how old yor kids are, but if they're small enough, we should all fit in the 16' Lavro (as long as you and I don't want to fish:hmmm ). Drop me an email.

·
resident lurker
131 Posts
Congrats on your kid's first fish!
i've got a 9-year old daughter that's learning to fish the "proper" way, too. The most important thing for kids is to actually catch something when they go fishing. I started mine out on bluegill at about a year and a half old, just plopping bait and bobber over the side of a dock.
If you can find a place that's not too far away, a nice little brookie lake is great for kids learning to fly fish. I take my daughter up to Lonesome Lake, down toward Mt. Rainier. It's got a ton of stunted brook trout that hang out close to shore, and there's usually a pretty good clearing around the water's edge to avoid snags on the backcast. It might be too long of a drive for you, i dunno where you guys are, but if you can find a lake like that you're sure to get the kid into some fish. They get pretty excited when they can watch the fish take a fly off the top.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.