Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Slainte
6,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's too bad that the Fling is already over, but a good time was had by all and here's the lowdown.

Last Thursday IveofIone, Jesse James, and Islander arrived at my place in Oroville. The mission was to fish local lakes, eat lots of good food, drink good beers (well, some of us don't drink) and have a general good time.

Ive and Jesse had checked out Sidley Lake the night before and said it was dead, not a real big surprise. The following days we would fish Wannacutt, Blue to north of it, Forde, Spectacle, Whitestone, Washburn, and Lost.

Our fist visit to Wannacut was greeted with the occasional winds that hammer the lake. Foam stips, white caps, and tired legs were the results. As usual, there were plenty of cookie cutter 10-12 inch rainbows that take easily to a fly and then rocket out of the water and splash about. One other visit by the others, (I was repairing my field mower and mowing the field too) it was calmer but the fish hadn't grown much.:hmmm:

Blue to the north of Wannacutt was visited twice by Ive and Islander, though the report was that only Ive was catching the elusive Lahontans in that lake. The biggest I heard was 23 inches. Wind was an issue there too, like that is a big surprise.

Spectacle and Whitestone were to be new challenges this year. Challenge is putting it mildly, both lakes are littered with bluegill and perch that barely pass for bait. We did see some nice sized crappie while we were putting in that were hanging around the dock, but we headed out for what we thought would be better waters. After little success on Whitestone we tried Spectacle with about the same result. In the end we took some bluegill home and Ive filleted and fried them up. Not exactly the crappie he envisioned...:hmmm:

Afterwards I headed up a rocky, scary, steep, meandering dirt road to find Washburn. Reports from some locals said there were good sized trout in it. I walked the 200 or so yards down to the lake from the road to check it out. Fish were hitting emergers with regularity. So I hot footed it back to the truck and packed the Watermaster into the lake. I had no emerger patterns but was able to take a nice 16 or so inch Brookie with a Carey pattern. That would be the only fish to hand and hunger sent me back down the hill towards home and dinner.

Lost Lake was my saving grace to the trip. We spent about six or so hours on the water but picked up lots of Brookies from 9 to 17 or so inches. Ive as usual was the master of catching them and schooled Steve and I in the ways of picking them up.

Most of the lakes are not in all that great of shape so far, Spring has been wet and cold up there and the waters show the results.

Food was a great treat and I'll post more in a while, right now I've got some chores and a pizza to pick up...:thumb:

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Excellent report Roper, thanks for sharing. That is a serious cast of characters and an impressive list of places to fish. Did Ive take home some sort of Okanogan Highland Fling trophy along with his bragging rights?

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Patience is a fishing virtue, Glad you stuck with it to the end. Good report!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Funny, I think we may have crossed paths very briefly on Whitestone this weekend. On Saturday, late morning, maybe? We spoke briefly of small bluegill and crappie. You guys were taking out with pontoons, we were putting in with a variety of craft including a Livingston, float tube, pontoon and my old blue aluminum. We were on a very similar many-lakes tour including several of those you mentioned. We managed a number of small bluegills/crappie/perch, along with one very nice crappie and 2 nice largemouth.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Gary, Be sure to pack a Type VI line! I probably caught about 35 fish on my VI and am not sure if I got a single one on an intermediate. I wanted to catch fish just subsurface with my new Ghost tip but it just wasn't happenin'. A lot of the lake is in the 15'-25' range where a VI has plenty of time to get down among the residents and give them time to check it out. We hammered them on Cracklebacks and red head sixpacks.

Same thing on Aeneas. We started out slow using intermediates and sink tips but once I put on a VI the lake came alive and I was into fish the rest of the day. And on Blue I caught fish late in the day on the ghost tip with the wind blowing like stink under a cloudy sky. The next day under sunshine nothing on the intermediate but a bunch of fish on the VI with almost all of the line out fishing little #14/#16 nymphs down deep. Fun to take such huge fish on tiny flies.

Tight lines over there, Ive

·
Steve
2,349 Posts
No turkey, but the one day I hunted I finally found some area that they were in. I probably should have stayed and set up the next morning, but I decided to head home. Lot's of fun though. Plus, I was the lucky guy that got to net Ivan's monster out of Blue Lake. The thing was so big and I hadn't seen a Lahontan trout before, as Ive's muscling this thing up towards the surface, I thought he had a big ole carp on. It was a bright red/orange color and the spots were so big right below the surface they looked like scales. I told Ivan, "I think you have a carp!" He said, "You obviously haven't seen a Lahontan before", and he was right. It was a beautiful fish and measured at 23".

·
Registered
262 Posts
Great report. I'm headed up there this weekend with my girlfriend and plan to hit the same lakes. I fished aeneas a few weeks back and couldn't buy a fish with my intermediate line but type 4 did the trick. Hope to fish both the Blues if time and the weather let us. Bought a new dry line for the girlfriend and I'm hopeing she can catch a fish or two on dries.

·
was Pram-Man
779 Posts
Ive, Roper, Islander, Sorry I missed you guys. I got back Saturday. Was there all last week and had very mixed results. It was nothing like the same time as last year. I think weather was a very big factor. But I love that area and will be hitting it in the fall. Maybe see you all then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.