Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the good fortune to fish the Yakutat in AK in two weeks and have heard the mosquitos are legendary. I've been a fan of "DeepWoods OFF" but wonder if it has the chutzpah to hang with professional blood suckers? Please advise...

PS - talked to WDFW and the south end of Spada Lake has been opened! Fish on! :HAPPY

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I Hate to tell you this because i know how bad the bugs up in Ak can be, not to mention around these parts. Deet is really bad on fly lines and will destroy then really quickly. The problem is that deet(the active ingredint in bug spray.) works the best by far. 99% of bug spray contains deet. If you get it on your hands, it will corrode your fly line. A lot of times I'll try to get by with out bug spray and just suck it up-i.e. get bitten. Alaska has huge mosquitos though, so Be careful. I have some Off brand in a aresol pump spray and If I use it, I'll put it on long before I grab my rod. I also wash my hands before hand too. anyway, good luck. :THUMBSUP YT

·
Patrick
1,805 Posts
If you use long sleeved shirts, long pants and a head net sold at any military outlet store and many sporting good stores you can put the bug spray on them way ahead of time. The bug spray is then the first line and the long sleeves and the head net the back up. The head net is held away from your face with the addition of a wide brim hat. The guy before is right you do not want to get any type of bug spray on your fishing line or any sun tan products. Bug bites on the hand are not bad but I have seen some wear the fingerless weight lifting or bike riding gloves to even keep that down. You might look funny with all of this on for photos of you and the fish but it is better to me at least then having bite marks all over my face when the bugs get real bad and the trip is over and I am back to work. I learned this set up fishing and hiking the high cascade area as the sun goes down the bugs get heavy at certain times of the year and they are hungry. The bug spray should be kept off of the face area of the head net, I mostly add it just on top of the head net or on top of the hat. Make sure to get a head net that fits under the under arms and draws tight a good one will cost about $10-$15. :pROFESSOR Long sleeved shirts, long pant and a hat with sun tan lotion put on hours before fishing will also keep the sun tan products from ruining your fishing line. Remember keep the clothing lose and airy. Think of the people who live in real arid areas. They do not wear shorts and tank tops to stay cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I spent a spring in Yakutat a few years ago, and I will tell you the bugs can be really bad. I would bring Avon Skin-So-Soft and something with Deet. If its not too buggy, then the skin so soft should work, Deet is pretty nasty stuff and I hesitate to use it but when its really bad, there isn't much of a choice. It is a beautiful area, with plenty of interesting folks.... If you get a chance, head out to Harlequin Lake, it's breathtaking. Good Luck!

Eric

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

I use a product put out by Cutter called Skinsations. I looked at the label and it don't say anything about deet being in it. I spray it on my hands and then rub it on my face and neck. I spray it on my arms and then rub it all over. It works for me as I really don't like to get bit as then I tend to have big blotches on my arms and head. It also smells good and has Aloe and vitamin E in it. P/S I wish I knew how to type.

Jim S. :COOK

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.