Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always scoffed at "Old Normy" or any of his fellow "This Old House" comrades-in-powertools for wearing safty goggles for every task under the sun...from cleaning out a clogged sink to hanging wall paper! It finally occured to me, through my bout with a chum, that eye protection is just not a show disclaimer...but something that should be thought of seriously!

This past Turkey Lurkey Day I was enjoying a day on the Skagit with my father and BIL (brother-in-law) not targeting any specific fish, but just to fish. After a dozen hook-ups or so for all of us...it happens! My drag screems, I screem as the fish races up stream then back down, and then up again! Just as I get all but the first 10 yards or so of my line back in the reel this 'dog' hits the surface and spits the hook...or shall I say SHOOTS the hook! I couldn't dodge the super-sonic, moch 5, #4 7999 Tiemco, barbell weighted offering! It felt as if someone threw a marble at my eye, the barbell weight hit just in the corner of my eye/nose, while the hook grabbed my (closed) eylid! It took a few seconds to shake off the hit, but it wasn't until I opened my eyes that I notice the bright pink marabou dangling alongside my nose. I quickly turned to BIL and Dad, and in unison they exclaim "WHAT THE HELL DID YOU DO THAT FOR!?"

Needless to say I am now a firm believer in eye protection for every situation! You might want to consider it as well! :pROFESSOR

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.