Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
That is (was?) the name of the fly shop in Marysville. They did the scheduling for a private lake up in Arlington. They used to have a problem with being open when they said they'd be open. I don't live in the area anymore, so I don't know if he is still there or how the business is being run.

There is a decent lake in the Macias area that we used to fish. It was big enough to get a few people out in float tubes and not be on top of each other. Lots of good-sized Kamloops. I assume he's still there. We also used to go up to Twin Sisters east of Bellingham. It is a bit of a drive up there, but he has a very scenic setup and some monster fish. It has been a few years since I have been up there as well, so I don't know the current status of that one either.

The lake that the Flysmith booked is very small and you essentially walk around the edge and fish it. It felt like fishing a hatchery pond.....

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
He had moved his shop over to the strip mall by Wally World on the reservation. Been several years since I have been there so don't know if he is still there or not.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
Don moved the shop from "Wally-world land" to Granite Falls. The last I talked with him he was still there (that was 3 or 4 months ago) and had at least one local pond that he was fishing as well some trips to the east-side.

Tight lines]
Curt

·
Formerly FlyCatcherman, formerly Don_The_Fly
105 Posts
Don Smith aka "the FlySmith" had the shop on 5th in Marysville, went from there to the shop accross from Wal-Mart and is now located in Granite Falls. his web site is http://www.theflysmith.com/
He currently has two local lakes that that he has set up. Really a nice guy and will do anything to help your game.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It would seem that the kettle has been stirred by the mentioning of the Flysmith.
Well I am alive and well and keeping shop in Granite Falls, WA. Some of you are well aware of this and I thank you for your honorable mention. And some others who haven't got a clue just have to get their two cents in. The latter should really save their energy and talk about something that they know about. I would love to hear from some of you whom I have lost contact with over the years. Give me a shout and we'll talk about old times and create new ones ! Don.

·
Registered
2 Posts
:)Curt,
Thank you, always great to hear from you !
Hope you and yours have a safe and happy holiday season.
I haven't been doing much fishing lately, I figure if the doors on my vehicle are frozen shut, then probably the guides on my flyrod aren't far behind. I know that where there is a will there is a way but I'm just not that into ice. Can't wait for it to warm up even just a little bit, but until then I think I'll just stay close to the fire and sip hot chocolate and tie flies.[EMAIL "[email protected]" ]

·
Still fly fishing in the PCW
5,370 Posts
Don, it's been probably 6 years since I saw you and Karen at the Bellevue show and as I live in E WA now, I never figured out where the shop had gone. It's great to hear that you guys are doing well in Granite Falls. I have great memories of coming into the old shop every year to buy Chuck's birthday and Christmas presents; you made my shopping so easy as you always knew what he'd been drooling over! (I should tell him to send his new wife in!) If I ever get over that way, I'll stop in for some cocoa. By the way, I loved the article you had linked on your site - what a great compliment!

Happy Holidays,
Sue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.