Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Native Trout Hunter
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am always surprised that there never seems to be any talk about fishing termite patterns for cutthroat in the salt on here. It is a rather consistent annual occurrence and when hit right makes for some of the best true dry fly fishing that the Sound has to offer. Anyone else on here take advantage of this annual event??

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts
I have some patterns specifically for termites, chiefly an orange stimulator and an orange foam fly, that I use on local rivers and lakes this time of year. I haven't tried them in the salt for searuns there.

Steve

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Those bugs are everywhere. Spent the day on and around Bainbridge Island. If I were fishing there, and not finding hidden treasure with the family, I would have been casting big light colored ant or termite patterns to fish I could see rise. I was good and did not once complain about not being able to fish during such a hatch.

·
Native Trout Hunter
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stimulators will do the trick, as well as cutthroat candies with a black wing and orange body. It tie up a number of foam conglomerations that really seem to do the trick. One being the a gurgler with a black hackle and/ or deer hair wing, Red or orange foam over the top and orange spun deer hair body. This one does a very good skittering termite imitation. I would expect the hatch to continue for the next couple of weeks if the weather holds out....

Great post that you dug up by the way, I must have missed that one...

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I commented to myself last night as I was casting to the last few rays of daylight that there were a lot of termites around. They seemed to be all along the beach, up the trail to my car, and really heavy at the car. I was pondering the idea of bringing a few orange/brown dry flies on my next visit.

I'm really enjoying these evening high tides.

·
card shark
2,316 Posts
I clip the bottom hackles from a couple of sz 8 orange stimulators and head down to the beach after work, particularly if there's an easterly wind. Works great, especially at high tide in the heavy salad since you don't need to strip, just twitch in place.

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
They were hatching out here on the coast yesterday, too. There's a big Spruce that got blown down about 3 years ago, on my neighbor's undeveloped lot, about 40 feet from my back porch, and its been producing some heavy termite hatches throughout the summer. I should probably use that as an indicator to go cutthroat fishing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.