Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How has everyone been doing this hunting season? I fared pretty darn well. I had some great run ins with some nice bulls during September archery but couldn't seal the deal. In October I took a little Muley with my muzzleloader, in November I took a really nice whitetail in Idaho with my rifle, and in the first week of this month during late season archery I finally got my elk. No tag soup for me this year!

All my deer hides went to a friend who is learning to tan hides and I'll be making some great Christmas baskets for the family after I'm done making teriyaki sticks and sausage.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Coaching, teaching and difficulty matching hunting pals schedules. My freezer remains empty. Congrats, very good to read of the success of others.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll post a pic of my whitetail when I get it back from my buddy who is letting his beetles have a go at it for a european mount. I no longer post pics of myself with my animals online due to a bad experience on another website.

·
Make my day
4,820 Posts
Beetles? That's how it's done!

I worked with a crazy guy who found a dead calf on the side of the road. He chopped it's head off using a small tomahawk. (really gross, blood everywhere).

It was winter in the tri-cities. First he tried burying it for a month. Nothing, it was frozen. Then he put a rope thru it's mouth and hung it off the dock, thinking the fish would clean it. The "boss" was on the dock and wondered why there was a line hanging over the side, so he pulled it up.:eek:

Needless to say, the head had to go. So he gets a big pot and boiled it. Then he cut/scraped the skull clean. Dried it and spray painted it white.

Then, in what became known as cow karma. he ties it to the grill of his jacked up bright red Ford ranger and drives to work. The parking spots faced the building and had steel bollards in front. He came in a little hot and proceeded to crush the skull!:D

We all got a lot of teasing milage out of that one. #calfkiller #calfkin #skillcrusher. Someone would come up with a new one daIly.

I had a reminder about this story just a little while ago. Was looking up microbrews and came across this.
http://www.calfkillerbeer.com/
Wonder if he started it?

Reactions: ribka

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boiling is one way to do a euro but you have to make sure and clean all the flesh from every nook and cranny. Otherwise, you get what happened to my buddy, his lab decided to use it as a chew toy to get at what was left inside.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
or you can boil it, outside of course, in a turkey fryer

i just buried mine outside in the dirt

six months later and following a little soak in beauticians peroxide equal decent euro mount

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
I've done a couple here in nearby ant hills. Cover the antlers to keep them from sun bleaching to hard, light chain to an anchor avoids varmint from dragging them off. One summer and there stripped well.. light boil to finalize. Paint with solution 50:1 (approximate) water to Elmer's glue and, if desired, nice soft coat of flat white tempra (water base) paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.