Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I will not be going to the Seeps so much I think. I hope you all have fun. Maybe the presence of fly-fishers will intimidate others such as the lakes with the ruling- "selective gear." I'll explain:

2.5 years ago, I took my (ex-) girlfriend to Beda, a lake with the "selective gear" designation. She mostly wanted to lie in the raft I provided for her and drink beer and add some color to her skin, which was lacking after a long exposure to Seattle. I wanted to fly fish, and I also wanted her to feel included and to generally have fun, so I provided her with a spinning rod and a jig (An attractive cosmopolitan city girl, she did not have the patience nor desire to fly fish. Do you know anybody like this?). She had success and caught fish on a spin rod and she was legally entitled to. (I was secretly hoping that the momentum of success would make her a fly fisher.) Anyway, you should have seen the glares and stares she got when they saw that spinning combo.. I wasn't pissed-off, I just saw it for what it was. A bunch of guys protecting a badass drive-to lake. Its not legal enforcement, its social enforcement, and its 5 times as powerful as any rule in the book. Beda was pretty good before y'all knew about it, though its still a fine lake, just not the same as it was before the pressure. I should say: "You'd have to have seen it to believe it," but you weren't invited. I'll explain:

During that time, those of us that fished Beda were (unfortunately) a growing fraternity, but we all agreed to keep it a secret. It was commonplace in the parking lot to talk to a complete stranger about the understood "secret pact" of keeping it quiet. Our secret fraternity got mysteriously bigger and bigger. All members were good people that "agreed to keep it secret." They were so good at keeping it quiet that last spring the Seattle Times had a feature article of the 5 best lakes of the Columbia Basin. Beda was a featured lake. Since then, the fish are still big, but not nearly as naive as they once were.
Beda’s a year-round option, so they get pounded day in and day out by classy, respectful, and honestly a great bunch of people called fly-fishers. These are the same classy, respectful, and great bunch of readers I'm addressing right now.

I've done my homework well on my new "secret lake." I spent money via my phone bill talking to old men that used to fish there and fish biologist of the region that I’ve got to know fairly well. I have spent time reading the stocking reports and reading topozone.com maps to find it. This new lake has greater potential and a 3-mile hike in through a bunch of crap. I love it, and I think I'm going to refer to it as "You're Not Invited Lake." (****** of course you're invited) While you all were picking the fruit of the Internet, I've spent the last 2.5 seasons spending almost every weekend finding these places.

Why wouldn't you do the same? Here are some reasons: If you're poor, gas is pricey. If you not poor, the best use of your limited time resource is your biggest hurdle. Each of you needs more fish, bigger fish, in the shortest time period for "maximum benefit." In addition, one might find them self threatened by the unfamiliarity of an area, and could terrify yourself thinking: "What if I go out there on a limb and don't find the place? I would waste gas AND time. Ah, but if I can get some leads and confirmed reports off the internet, then I would be driving with purpose, and I would have the comfort of knowing that what I am doing is a worthwhile and meaningful "venture." In fact I can't even use the word "venture" as it implies some kind of a risk or gamble. You're doing none of this. You're following!

Now, I want to address the concerns of those that historically fish less than 5 times a year and those that are just getting started and address their unspoken concerns in this "kiss and tell" unspoken fishery debacle. These guys biggest problem is generally inexperience. Some of them think they've got it, but they really don't. Since fly-fishing is really a social outing for these types, a good report at the lake by an "alpha-male" of the group sends a line of chitter-chatter through the ranks in "word of mouth" solicitation. Any business will tell you that word of mouth is the best marketing EVER. These kind of guys make up a fairly large percentage of the fly fishing community.

Some of these folks believe that a particular pattern bought from a particular store fished in a particular location yields fish ANYTIME. This thought process is a natural extension of the marketing and philosophy behind "lure-fishing." Don't tell me you didn't watch the Banjo Minnow infomercial and say, "I can totally see how that would catch fish." You guys walk into the fly ship and basically ask, "Where's the catch-all patterns?" I remember when I walked into Kaufman’s-Seattle the first time asking that kind of question and ended up with a bunch of black buggers and royal wulffs. None was productive when aimlessly flailed into the water. Serves me right.. I started getting frustrated and wondered: "Is fly-fishing worthwhile and meaningful?"

I used to like to lean on my spin rod. I liked rooster-tails and other spinners, and once it seemed like spin casting was just so much more productive (though not as elegant as fly fishing). But what does it matter if your catching fish on your spin rod? You're CATCHING fish and THAT'S ALL THAT COUNTS, right? Wrong! That's why we spend time and money to drive 3 hours from home right? Wrong! You fly fish because you enjoy your wit vs. their instinct. When you don't catch fish, it’s YOUR fault for not making an accurate evaluation of what was going on in the water the day you went fishing. You weren't witty enough, and with enough learning you see your mistakes. Learning is the best part, and sometimes that means getting your ass whooped and having to contemplate on the ride home what you did wrong. During this process, (which, honestly never truly ends, it just doesn’t sting so much further down the road..) you need to get out of the day what was most important: You get to see the coolest landscapes, the coolest wild animals/birds and listen to them, and you get to LIVE while those other mindless drones were watching TV, and letting their lives slip away and find themselves fat and upset that their lives are not exciting. You may have got skunked today, but at least you're seeing the best things that life has to offer.

FYI, how did I make the switch to fly-fishing 100% of the time for ALL species? First of all, I left my spin rod at home and started taking a beating at local west side lakes fishing lame-o stocker ponds like Margaret Lake, Lake Sammamish, Lake Washington, Morton Lake, Devereaux Lake, Green Lake, Beaver Lake, etc.. I got skunked for 3 straight months before I caught my first fish. After that, I got more hook-ups but still was not as productive as I was with spinners. I didn't quit. I needed to educate myself. Since that time I have read and obtained probably 50 different books (you have to obtain them because most public libraries have crappy selections) and purchased a whole load of mags. I understand more, and I catch more fish than I ever did before and I know why I am selecting certain patterns out of my box. No fly is lucky. Each fly has its own specific time and place.

I thank you for taking the time to read this. Maybe after reading this, I’ve got you a little jostled and you’re not quite sure what to make of this read. I want to help you to understand that you may lack the experience and commitment of time and money to comprehend the issues we address on this forum. Secondly, for those that have put in the time, lets set some rules. Do you find yourself fishing at a location where you've never seen any more than 2 other others on the lake/creek? Did you catch some pretty large fish on that lake/creek? Hey guess, what? Congrats and nice work! You've found a place that shouldn't be solicited!

If after reading all this you still don't get it, then man, shit. You just don't get it.

Sparse
Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
(Sir Izaak Walton)

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Thanks for the words on your fly fishing journey Sparse. Many fishermen, me included, like to explore and find our special spots (I don't think this is specific to fly fishers). After a little experience, most people learn how important it is to keep those special spots secret.

I was lucky enough to learn to fly fish trout from my Grandfather when I was very young. I've done my fair share of spin fishing between then and now, but only fly fling these days-- but that's beside the point- my point being- the river where I learned to fish, a river I knew as well as anyone (exploring all day for years as a kid will earn you that knowledge) got plum fished out. By 1985 it was mostly kaput. More C&R back then would have helped, but it was mostly a pressure issue. I'm not sure who told who or what. I'd blame the internet, but it wasn't going back then. Fact is, "my" stretch of river isn't that hard to access. I think folks just found it while exploring, and told their buddies. And so on.

While it hurts to lose the utlimate special place like I did, I've had a number of spots go south due to pressure since. Same with the good powder shots while skiing. Same with some of my fave hole-in-the-wall pubs.

We just need to keep searching, because inevetably, other searchers will find your new lake, and tell their buddies. I look at this as a fact of life in the modern world, and I know there's not a damn thing I can do about it. I have my spots now, and keep them zipper lipped. Actually, not entirely true, I do share with a couple like minded fishing pals when the time is right- those spots are a true form of currency exchanged between dedicated fisher buddies.

I wouldn't let the internet etc get to you Sparse. There's a lot of good water out there for an explorer like you to find. "Kiss and tell" is all just part of the game. At least that's where I'm at these days, fishing is too special to get worked up, especially considering what I've already lost. But that's just my story and my experience. I'm not going to tell anyone what to say or think. I just love fishin, and try to keep it positive.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Sparse, That's amazing. I get it bro. I would like to say 2 things. I would like to go on and on, so I will.

Community. The thing I love about this website most. Community. all different types of people bringing different views to the table. New guys, veterans, authors, big guns, guides, everybody. I have met so many people on this forum, including Sparse. We are great friends (I think, better ask him). I like everybody. They may not like me, I still like them. But sometimes we need to rattle the cage so to speak. Sometimes we got to put something on the table that might not be popular, or with the majority of people. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about here. Good or bad, things come to a head, and must be dealt with.

Second, the constant "kiss and tell" as Sparse put it. Some places just weren't meant for everyone. I surely don't know all, nor do I want to. Keep your spot for yourself. I can understand that. These places can't handle everyone. They don't have big parking lots, restrooms, proper facilities to handle mass people. I hope they never do. To me, it's more about conservation than not wanting to tell you. I know 99% percent of you are good people, don't litter, and take care of places you visit. I'll use an example. The Yak. We all flyfish their, love it, hate it, whatever. The YRFF crew picked up 150 bags of garbage in one afternoon. In the canyon alone. So why would you think these other places could ever handle that kind of abuse? OR 10% of that abuse. They can't, and never will. was that all from flyfisherpersons? NO. but some of it was. Garbage is only one factor in a myriad of factors. I used the seeps to ignite this thing, for good or bad. I did it. Some of you said, "the seeps is no secret" It's not a secret. But some of you were like, "I know where I'm going now" So you didn't all know about it? kind of conflicting, huh? Last week somebody, no offense to him, posted a map about a place. this week, this topic. next week? how far will it go?

I hope we can at least understand the "why?" in all this talk. I've had a long day, my arms hurt from rowing all afternoon. I'm done. Keep it civil. goodnight. YT :smokin

·
Registered
227 Posts
Flyfishing is an evolutionary process. We all have gone through our own metamorphosis from bait-chuckers to gear-huckers, and finally to this stage we call flyfishing. Maybe there's another level; perhaps only more refinement. In my experience it's a matter of maturity and conservation, and appreciation for the unbelievable beauty and power of the natural world; a world who's future is for the most part controlled by us. We all mature at different rates. I hope that eventually everyone will get to where we think we are, but don't forget that we all walked the same path.

Wise words, Sparse and ******. Thank you.
--Aaron J

·
I’m a whale
4,667 Posts
Sparse i think you wrote that peice with good heart. ? ,im just wondering if a stanger was to come into water that was virgin to him or her and you thought it to be a secret would you be welcoming or standoffish. i would like to beleive that we would welcome someone, story could be that the stranger also put his time in and so-on to find this place just was busy last year when whoever found it. i think that we as flyfisherhumans have a little clickyness when it comes to us, ever see 2 strangers fishin shoulder to shoulder? i wonder if other fisherman have little clicks, probably not they seem to have to much fun to stop and be worried about this, as evidence of the beer and so-forth. ha... kidding. i think YT made some good points... but i dont think there are any more quote on quote explorers left cause weve mapped everything, right, so someones been there, all we're doin is following leads. just my 2 nickels :smokin bhudda

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
T, I have vacation slated for the 22nd through the 27th. After you drop Mom off, get your butt up to the lake. I'll have it all figured out by then...

Oh, by the way, ice is almost that (North-Central) lake by my property. I'll be up there in a week or two to check it out.

And I love your crawfish pattern for the Carp Swap! Nice job, my friend!

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I am going to lay down now, and take a few aspirins,close my eyes and try to recover from all this.
Later, when I am feeling better, I am going to go fishing. Alone. I had thought of calling you Sparse, and sharing some water, but now that's not going to happen. I have a great little spot
and Im sure you would love it too but...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.